From: MJMIII on
"Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net> wrote in message
>>>
>> I got there, but I didn't realize BING installed on Dell's 63mb
>> diagnostic partition at the beginning of the 600GB drive.
>>
>> View Mbr beside Vista it says:
>> Partition Active 149997mb HPFS/NTFS
>>
>> Properties for Vista:
>> Starting Ending LBA
>> Sectors
>> C H S C H S
>> 129024 307194426
>> 8 8 1 1023 254 63
>

> LOL. Installing BING to the Dell partition shouldn't have happened but
> it's no big deal. We can fix it when everything is finished. Or leave it
> alone. Which Dell is it? I'm using a Dell 9150 at present.

XPS 630i

From: Brian K on

"MJMIII" <

> XPS 630i

Nice.
I'm still waiting on a few replies to my questions. You are doing well. BING
is such an intimidating app until you get used to its ways.

I looked again at that link on how to separate the OS and I think we'll have
to do it while Win7 is still on the second HD. In the article the drive
letters were C: and : but yours will be Z: and C: Confirm this carefully
before you proceed.

I know you have Acronis images of both OS so in the unlikely event of a big
stuffup, you can get back to square one.

From: MJMIII on

> "MJMIII" <
>
>> XPS 630i
>>

> Nice.
> I'm still waiting on a few replies to my questions. You are doing well.
> BING is such an intimidating app until you get used to its ways.
>
> I looked again at that link on how to separate the OS and I think we'll
> have to do it while Win7 is still on the second HD. In the article the
> drive letters were C: and : but yours will be Z: and C: Confirm this
> carefully before you proceed.
>
> I know you have Acronis images of both OS so in the unlikely event of a
> big stuffup, you can get back to square one.

Are you waiting for replies from me?

From: Brian K on

"MJMIII" <> Are you waiting for replies from me?

Yes....

You should already have a Boot Item for Vista. What is in the MBR Details on
the right.

Now we are both confused. Unallocated space is not a partition. Its other
name is unpartitioned free space. So it can't have a drive letter. Ever.

When you look in Disk Management, how is the 450 GB area described?
When you look in BING, how is the 450 GB area described?

From: MJMIII on

> "MJMIII" <> Are you waiting for replies from me?
>>

> Yes....
>

> You should already have a Boot Item for Vista. What is in the MBR Details
> on
> the right.

I didn't see any information on the right side of the screen. On what
screen should I see MBR details?

> Now we are both confused. Unallocated space is not a partition. Its other
> name is unpartitioned free space. So it can't have a drive letter. Ever.

Fixed. I deleted the partition then recreated it as 450GB unallocated.
That's how it now shows in Disk Management and Bing.

> When you look in Disk Management, how is the 450 GB area described?
> When you look in BING, how is the 450 GB area described?

See above.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.