From: ashraf_al_ani via AccessMonster.com on
Dear All
I have a form contais 3 text
name, father_name,Sur_name

how can i prevent the duplicate if a user entered

John smith george

and in another record he enterd the same name

John smith george

i want to display a msgbox to tell him that the name is duplicated

best wishes

From: John W. Vinson on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 05:33:36 GMT, "ashraf_al_ani via AccessMonster.com"
<u54845(a)uwe> wrote:

>Dear All
>I have a form contais 3 text
>name, father_name,Sur_name
>
>how can i prevent the duplicate if a user entered
>
>John smith george

Why should you prevent such an entry?

My name is John Vinson. (John Wilmot)
My father's name was John Vinson. (John Walker Jr.)
His father's name was John Vinson. (John Walker Sr.)

Names are not unique; duplicate names are *perfectly legitimate* entries and
your program should not prohibit them. I once worked with Dr. Lawrence David
Wise and his colleague, Dr. Lawrence David Wise.

>and in another record he enterd the same name
>
>John smith george
>
>i want to display a msgbox to tell him that the name is duplicated

If you want just a warning (not a prevention) you can use the form's
BeforeUpdate event with code like:

Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel as Integer)
Dim iAns As Integer
If Not IsNull(DLookUp("somefield", "yourtable", _
"[Name] = """ & Me![Name] & """ AND Father_Name = """ _
& Me![Father_Name] & """ AND Sur_Name = """ _
& Me![Sur_Name] & """") Then
iAns = MsgBox("This name already exists; add it anyway?", vbYesNo)
If iAns = vbNo Then
Cancel = True ' cancel the addition to the table
Me.Undo ' erase the user's input
End If
End If
End Sub
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: ashraf_al_ani via AccessMonster.com on
John W. Vinson wrote:
>>Dear All
>>I have a form contais 3 text
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>>
>>John smith george
>
>Why should you prevent such an entry?
>
>My name is John Vinson. (John Wilmot)
>My father's name was John Vinson. (John Walker Jr.)
>His father's name was John Vinson. (John Walker Sr.)
>
>Names are not unique; duplicate names are *perfectly legitimate* entries and
>your program should not prohibit them. I once worked with Dr. Lawrence David
>Wise and his colleague, Dr. Lawrence David Wise.
>
>>and in another record he enterd the same name
>>
>>John smith george
>>
>>i want to display a msgbox to tell him that the name is duplicated
>
>If you want just a warning (not a prevention) you can use the form's
>BeforeUpdate event with code like:
>
>Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel as Integer)
>Dim iAns As Integer
>If Not IsNull(DLookUp("somefield", "yourtable", _
> "[Name] = """ & Me![Name] & """ AND Father_Name = """ _
> & Me![Father_Name] & """ AND Sur_Name = """ _
> & Me![Sur_Name] & """") Then
> iAns = MsgBox("This name already exists; add it anyway?", vbYesNo)
> If iAns = vbNo Then
> Cancel = True ' cancel the addition to the table
> Me.Undo ' erase the user's input
> End If
>End If
>End Sub