From: Jansen Robert on
Added note:

The lanmanager smbpasswd filed change seems to happen also with some
client machines do NOT explicitaly change their password.
It rather seems that a client seems to enforce a zero LANMAN passwd if a client
has a higher than LANMAN protocol available.

"I have a higher protocol than LANMAN, so forget the LANMAN method
and scratch the unsafer password
hash".

A wild guess,...

But the question remains, how to prevent this from happening ?

Running on a Solaris 9

Ideas welcome.

TIA

On Wed, April 14, 2010 10:45, Jansen Robert wrote:
> Added note:
>

> The lanmanager smbpasswd filed change seems to happen also with some
> client machines do NOT explicitaly change their password. It rather seems
> that a client seems to enforce a zero LANMAN passwd if a client has a
> higher than LANMAN protocol available.
>
> "I have a higher protocol than LANMAN, so forget the LANMAN method
> and scratch the unsafer password hash".
>
> A wild guess,...
>

> But the question remains, how to prevent this from happening ?
>

> Running on a Solaris 9
>

> Ideas welcome.
>

> TIA

Found a solution:

Users can still explicitly change their password by using
<username>@<sambaserver> on their client PC, but the Lanmanager password
has field doesn't get "zeroed" out by a bunch of XXXXXXXXXXXXX....

Look here: http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/win9x_samba.htm

Needed smb.conf entry's:

lanman auth = Yes
client lanman auth = Yes
client plaintext auth = Yes

Default behaviour changed during/after Samba version 3.2.0.

If anyone knows how to block users explicitly changing their password via
the client PC, would be a plus.

Any takers ?

my 2 cents

TIA