From: isw on
My digital camera properly fills in the EXIF "Orientation" field -- "1"
for "landscape" and "8" for "portrait".

iPhoto 6 silently deals with a rotated image by making a copy and
"correcting" the copy (and the only way you can find out about this is
to look in iPhoto Library/Modified to see what it has put in there).
This is (IMO) wrong, as 1) you may *want* the image to be presented in
the rotated orientation or 2) you may want to rotate the image as
appropriate before handing it to iPhoto (and that's what I want to do).

I use an external iPhoto library for several reasons, but one is that I
want what I see in iPhoto to accurately represent the file in the
library, not some modified version hidden in the bowels of iPhoto's
Library.

I do "triage" on images with Preview prior to handing selected ones of
them to iPhoto. The problem is, Preview silently rotates images for
viewing (honoring the EXIF data), but does nothing permanent (and
provides no information about the rotation). Even if I somehow know an
image should be rotated, I don't know how to tell Preview to do it
*permanently*, since it's already rotated it for viewing.

GIMP alerts you to the fact the image needs rotation, but I don't want
to have to run every image through it, and besides, I know that Preview
does "lossless" rotates, but (based on the time the operation takes) I
don't think GIMP does.

What I want is a way to tell Preview to *not* automatically rotate
images, so I can see that they need rotating, and fix them, before
handing them to iPhoto. Is there any way to do that?

Isaac
From: Matthew Lybanon on
In article <isw-E489F9.21275028062010@[216.168.3.50]>,
isw <isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:

> My digital camera properly fills in the EXIF "Orientation" field -- "1"
> for "landscape" and "8" for "portrait".
>
> iPhoto 6 silently deals with a rotated image by making a copy and
> "correcting" the copy (and the only way you can find out about this is
> to look in iPhoto Library/Modified to see what it has put in there).
> This is (IMO) wrong, as 1) you may *want* the image to be presented in
> the rotated orientation or 2) you may want to rotate the image as
> appropriate before handing it to iPhoto (and that's what I want to do).
>
> I use an external iPhoto library for several reasons, but one is that I
> want what I see in iPhoto to accurately represent the file in the
> library, not some modified version hidden in the bowels of iPhoto's
> Library.
>
> I do "triage" on images with Preview prior to handing selected ones of
> them to iPhoto. The problem is, Preview silently rotates images for
> viewing (honoring the EXIF data), but does nothing permanent (and
> provides no information about the rotation). Even if I somehow know an
> image should be rotated, I don't know how to tell Preview to do it
> *permanently*, since it's already rotated it for viewing.
>
> GIMP alerts you to the fact the image needs rotation, but I don't want
> to have to run every image through it, and besides, I know that Preview
> does "lossless" rotates, but (based on the time the operation takes) I
> don't think GIMP does.

Gimp has two types of rotation: By (a multiple of) 90 degrees, and by
an arbitrary angle. The former is found either in the Image or Layer
menu (choose Transform). That type of rotation is very quick (at least
on my Mac) and is lossless. The Tools: Transform Tools option lets you
specify the rotation angle. It (presumably) does a matrix
multiplication by a rotation operator, and is both slower and subject to
roundoff error.

I'm running Gimp 2.6.8, but I think what I described above is true of
earlier versions.

From: Erilar on
isw <isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:
> My digital camera properly fills in the EXIF "Orientation" field --
> "1"
> for "landscape" and "8" for "portrait".
>
> iPhoto 6 silently deals with a rotated image by making a copy and
> "correcting" the copy (and the only way you can find out about this is
>
> to look in iPhoto Library/Modified to see what it has put in there).
> This is (IMO) wrong, as 1) you may *want* the image to be presented in
>
> the rotated orientation or 2) you may want to rotate the image as
> appropriate before handing it to iPhoto (and that's what I want to
> do).
>
> I use an external iPhoto library for several reasons, but one is that
> want what I see in iPhoto to accurately represent the file in the
> library, not some modified version hidden in the bowels of iPhoto's
> Library.
>
> I do "triage" on images with Preview prior to handing selected ones of
>
> them to iPhoto. The problem is, Preview silently rotates images for
> viewing (honoring the EXIF data), but does nothing permanent (and
> provides no information about the rotation). Even if I somehow know an
>
> image should be rotated, I don't know how to tell Preview to do it
> *permanently*, since it's already rotated it for viewing.
>
> GIMP alerts you to the fact the image needs rotation, but I don't want
>
> to have to run every image through it, and besides, I know that
> Preview
> does "lossless" rotates, but (based on the time the operation takes) I
>
> don't think GIMP does.
>
> What I want is a way to tell Preview to *not* automatically rotate
> images, so I can see that they need rotating, and fix them, before
> handing them to iPhoto. Is there any way to do that?

I quit using iPhoto for any kind of editing years ago, actually from
the moment it turned up on a new computer. I edited foots with a GOOD
graphics program, after which iPhoto more or less had a hussy fit and I
learned how to turn it off. I've begun using it to make "albums" for my
iPad recently, but I have no other use for it. As for Preview, I'd like
to dump it. Have you ever considered GraphicConverter?

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist