From: Robert M. on
Seamonkey today stopped allowing access to newsgroups' messages'
contents.

I can see the newsgroups' message titles, but I can't open the
messages.

When I click on a message title, a popup window pops up, saying, "News
server password required."

When I type a password, another message says, "A news NNTP error
occurred. Authentication failed."

Sea Monkey's browser still works.

I spent an hour and-a-half with two ISP people on the phone. The
supervisor said his company doen't give passwords for newsreaders. I
told him that must be wrong. He told me to contact Sea Monkey, even
though I told him it's an ISP problem.

My ISP did give passwords for my newsreaders before, and they fixed
this problem, which I've had in the past.

The supervisor told me to try Eudora or Netscape.
From: Wes Groleau on
On 06-30-2010 01:44, Robert M. wrote:
> When I type a password, another message says, "A news NNTP error
> occurred. Authentication failed."

Is it possible that somehow the preference setting got checked
that says (effectively), “ISP requires password”

--
Wes Groleau

Worksheet for “Viva La Causa”
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/russell?itemid=990
From: Rich Gray on
Robert M. wrote:
> Seamonkey today stopped allowing access to newsgroups' messages'
> contents.
>
> I can see the newsgroups' message titles, but I can't open the
> messages.
>
> When I click on a message title, a popup window pops up, saying, "News
> server password required."
>
> When I type a password, another message says, "A news NNTP error
> occurred. Authentication failed."

Try going to Tools > Password Manager > Manage Stored Passwords

Find the entries like

news://news.example.com (news://news.example.com/#username) and
news://news.example.com (news://news.example.com/#password)

and delete them.

Try again. Mozilla mail news clients are notorious for getting
some sort of login error, reprompting the user for name/password,
allowing the user to mistype what was correct info. Username is
not reprompted and the user is stuck as you are.

- Rich

From: Wes Groleau on
On 06-30-2010 13:15, Rich Gray wrote:
> Try again. Mozilla mail news clients are notorious for getting
> some sort of login error, reprompting the user for name/password,
> allowing the user to mistype what was correct info. Username is
> not reprompted and the user is stuck as you are.

And this would mess him up on a server that does not ask for a password?

--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, "That preacher
said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
stay with you guys."
From: Robert M. on
On Jun 30, 10:15 am, Rich Gray <devn...(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> Robert M. wrote:
> > Seamonkey today stopped allowing access to newsgroups' messages'
> > contents.
>
> > I can see the newsgroups' message titles, but I can't open the
> > messages.
>
> > When I click on a message title, a popup window pops up, saying, "News
> > server password required."
>
> > When I type a password, another message says, "A news NNTP error
> > occurred. Authentication failed."
>
> Try going to Tools > Password Manager > Manage Stored Passwords
>
> Find the entries like
>
> news://news.example.com (news://news.example.com/#username)   and
> news://news.example.com (news://news.example.com/#password)
>
> and delete them.
>
> Try again.  Mozilla mail news clients are notorious for getting
> some sort of login error, reprompting the user for name/password,
> allowing the user to mistype what was correct info.  Username is
> not reprompted and the user is stuck as you are.
>
> - Rich

Thanks, Rich and Wes.

I deleted all of the stored passwords, but I still can't access the
newsgroups.