From: erilar on
Is there a way I can STOP Preview from butting in and opening files made
with other programs that I want to open in the program I made them in?
Before SabreTooth(10.6+) messed up a whole list of things with its
installation, when I clicked on a graphics file made or modified by
ColorIt, that's what it opened in. GC files were opened by GC. Now any
of those I click on are opened by the imbecilic Preview, which I can't
use for anything but a slide show.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
From: Jim Gibson on
In article
<drache-4D9252.15302222062010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.exa
mple.com>, erilar <drache(a)chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> Is there a way I can STOP Preview from butting in and opening files made
> with other programs that I want to open in the program I made them in?
> Before SabreTooth(10.6+) messed up a whole list of things with its
> installation, when I clicked on a graphics file made or modified by
> ColorIt, that's what it opened in. GC files were opened by GC. Now any
> of those I click on are opened by the imbecilic Preview, which I can't
> use for anything but a slide show.

1. Open a finder window.
2. Select one of the documents that you wish to open in ColorIt.
3. Click on the "More info..." button or type Command-I.
4. Find the "Open with:" section and click on the triangle to open it,
if necessary.
5. From the pop-up menu, select the ColorIt application (if it is
there).
6. If it is not there, select "Other" and navigate to the ColorIt
application in the dialog box that opens.
7. Select the "Always Open With" checkbox in the dialog box or click on
the "Change All..." button in the "More info" box (or both).

--
Jim Gibson
From: David Empson on
erilar <drache(a)chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> Is there a way I can STOP Preview from butting in and opening files made
> with other programs that I want to open in the program I made them in?
> Before SabreTooth(10.6+) messed up a whole list of things with its
> installation, when I clicked on a graphics file made or modified by
> ColorIt, that's what it opened in. GC files were opened by GC. Now any
> of those I click on are opened by the imbecilic Preview, which I can't
> use for anything but a slide show.

In short, not easily.

In Snow Leopard, Apple decided to drop support for the "creator"
metadata which has been attached to Mac files since day one. This
allowed files to be opened in a specific application (typically the one
which created it, but an application could decide to save a file with a
creator code of another specific application).

Snow Leopard now only pays attention to a specific override for each
file (set via Get Info in Finder for an individual document), or the
filename extension, or if all else fails the file type metadata (e.g.
TEXT files will open with TextEdit by default).

You can configure a single application to open all documents with a
particular extension (via Get Info in Finder, by clicking the Change All
button), or override for individual files, but if you have many files
with the same extension (e.g. .jpeg) that you want to open automatically
with different specific applications, you are out of luck.

There is at least one third party tool which reinstates the "creator"
recognition.

http://pagehand.com/launchcodes/

You can assign LaunchCodes to open everything with the extension in
question, or you can do it on a one-off basis by dragging and dropping
the document onto LaunchCodes (which should be kept in your Dock).

Never tried it myself, and I'm not sure if it will help with files that
have no extension on their name.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: erilar on
In article <1jkjdxz.npv3515t8laaN%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>,
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:

> In Snow Leopard, Apple decided to drop support for the "creator"
> metadata which has been attached to Mac files since day one. This
> allowed files to be opened in a specific application (typically the one
> which created it, but an application could decide to save a file with a
> creator code of another specific application).

Now I have even MORE grounds for detesting this downgrade! I have to
open an empty document in a program to activate it so I can open other
files I need to work with. As far as I can see, Preview is totally
useless as a graphics tool; it has no editing functionality and doesn't
even have a graduated zoom tool. I've never seen anything so totally
useless for anything but a slide show. Even iPhoto 06 will do more than
this piece of trash I'm stuck with now because I need it to communicate
with my iPad. I thought it had already done all its damage when it
destroyed my address book and cut off the network connection to my old
computer(along with some other damage that was repairable)

And as for TextEdit: it's almost as minimal as Preview and won't let me
open documents with the program of my choice either.

OK, temporary end of rant. I'm going to go read a free book on my iPad
and drink a glass of wine.

From: erilar on
In article <220620101706485753%jimsgibson(a)gmail.com>,
Jim Gibson <jimsgibson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> In article
> <drache-4D9252.15302222062010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.exa
> mple.com>, erilar <drache(a)chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way I can STOP Preview from butting in and opening files made
> > with other programs that I want to open in the program I made them in?
> > Before SabreTooth(10.6+) messed up a whole list of things with its
> > installation, when I clicked on a graphics file made or modified by
> > ColorIt, that's what it opened in. GC files were opened by GC. Now any
> > of those I click on are opened by the imbecilic Preview, which I can't
> > use for anything but a slide show.
>
> 1. Open a finder window.
> 2. Select one of the documents that you wish to open in ColorIt.
> 3. Click on the "More info..." button or type Command-I.
> 4. Find the "Open with:" section and click on the triangle to open it,
> if necessary.
> 5. From the pop-up menu, select the ColorIt application (if it is
> there).
> 6. If it is not there, select "Other" and navigate to the ColorIt
> application in the dialog box that opens.
> 7. Select the "Always Open With" checkbox in the dialog box or click on
> the "Change All..." button in the "More info" box (or both).

Thank you for the step by step. I'm going to save this in a readily
accessible location for a patient time. Tonight is not one.