From: Bill McCarthy on

"Ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Bill McCarthy" <bill(a)localhost.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "mayayana" <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote in message
>> > You've multi-posted the same question to
>> > a VB.Net group. Either you're using VB.Net or
>> > you're using VB. It can't be both.
>> >

>> Actually it can be both. HTH's.
>>
>> Here's a link to lots of open source PDF libraries :
>> http://www.codeplex.com/site/search?projectSearchText=pdf
>>
>> Most of them are written in .NET, but you can always put a COM wrapper
>> around them and use from VB6.
>>

> My favorite is libHaru.
> http://libharu.org/wiki/Main_Page
> Download:
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Components-Libraries/libHaru.shtml
>
> The library is written in ANSI C so you can whip out your trusty C/C++ to
> create an ActiveX component for use in your program, or even customize the
> library. Or use one of the Windows binaries directly.

You could, but I think you'll find a lot of people "can't" achieve that
safely. The learning curve to use VB .NET is a lot easier and a lot safer.

> You might also consider using Delphi to create useable components. Haven't
> played with any JAVA implemetation - but of course that is an option too.

Really ?? Calling Java from VB6 I thought would be a nightmare (MS's Java
VM made it easier but that Sun forced the removal of that :( )

From: Ralph on

> > The library is written in ANSI C so you can whip out your trusty C/C++
> > create an ActiveX component for use in your program, or even customize
the
> > library. Or use one of the Windows binaries directly.
> >

> You could, but I think you'll find a lot of people "can't" achieve that
> safely. The learning curve to use VB .NET is a lot easier and a lot safer.

Yeah, that is probably true. Replacing the VB6 development platform with the
new VB.Net .Net Framework development platform in order to do file
management and printing would be much easier than learning C and COM.

> > You might also consider using Delphi to create useable components.
Haven't
> > played with any JAVA implemetation - but of course that is an option
too.

> Really ?? Calling Java from VB6 I thought would be a nightmare (MS's Java
> VM made it easier but that Sun forced the removal of that :( )

Again, you cleverly cut right to the chase.

Installing a completely new development platform, learning a new programming
language and its libraries, and then deploying products from that platform
using an intermediate technology (eg, JaveBeans Bridge for ActiveX, ActiveX
Bridge, ...) just to provide interoperability with VB would be distressing.

Thanks for pointing out the flaws in my suggestions.

-ralph

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Timer function