From: Patrick Keenan on

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:05:01 -0800, strongminded
> <strongminded(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I created a Word document on my home computer where I have Windows 7.
>> When
>> trying to open the document on my work computer (has Windows XP and
>> Microsoft
>> Office 2003) I receive an error stating, "Word cannot start the
>> converter
>> mswrd632.wpc."
>>
>> I need to open the document at work. What steps do I need to take to
>> accomplish this?
>

> Windows 7 and Windows XP are irrelevant.

This is the way it would normally appear, but it seems that in this case,
normality doesn't seem to apply.

This error message is actually caused by an XP/2000/Server 2003 security
update.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904

I've had to fix this on my wife's system, and that's how I found out about
it.

-pk

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:16:56 -0500, "Patrick Keenan" <test(a)dev.null>
wrote:

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:05:01 -0800, strongminded
> > <strongminded(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I created a Word document on my home computer where I have Windows 7.
> >> When
> >> trying to open the document on my work computer (has Windows XP and
> >> Microsoft
> >> Office 2003) I receive an error stating, "Word cannot start the
> >> converter
> >> mswrd632.wpc."
> >>
> >> I need to open the document at work. What steps do I need to take to
> >> accomplish this?
> >

> > Windows 7 and Windows XP are irrelevant.
>
> This is the way it would normally appear, but it seems that in this case,
> normality doesn't seem to apply.
>
> This error message is actually caused by an XP/2000/Server 2003 security
> update.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904
>
> I've had to fix this on my wife's system, and that's how I found out about
> it.

Thanks very much for the info, which was new to me. And to
"Strongminded," my apologies for giving you the wrong answer.

> > The issue is the difference
> > in Word versions. Are you running Word 2007 on the home computer? If
> > so, read the following:
> >
> > You have two choices:
> >
> > 1. On the work computer, download and install the free "Microsoft
> > Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 file
> > formats" at
> > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101686761033.aspx
> >
> > 2. On your home computer open the file and save it again using "Save
> > as," not "Save" and save it as a "97-2003 document." You will then be
> > able to open it on the work computer,
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2