From: strongminded on
I created a Word document on my home computer where I have Windows 7. When
trying to open the document on my work computer (has Windows XP and Microsoft
Office 2003) I receive an error stating, "Word cannot start the converter
mswrd632.wpc."

I need to open the document at work. What steps do I need to take to
accomplish this?
--
Strong-minded
From: smlunatick on
On Feb 2, 6:05 pm, strongminded
<strongmin...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I created a Word document on my home computer where I have Windows 7. When
> trying to open the document on my work computer (has Windows XP and Microsoft
>  Office 2003) I receive an error stating, "Word cannot start the converter
> mswrd632.wpc."
>
> I need to open the document at work. What steps do I need to take to
> accomplish this?
> --
> Strong-minded

You need to have installed the Compatibility pack for Office 2007.
Microsoft has decided to "drop" the older file formats of older Office
versions in Office 2007. You may also need to save the document in
the older Word version when using Office 2007.
From: DL on
"Microsoft has decided to "drop" the older file formats of older Office
versions in Office 2007."
Not true
Outlook 2007 can both open & create docs in old format

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:05:01 -0800, strongminded
<strongminded(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I created a Word document on my home computer where I have Windows 7. When
> trying to open the document on my work computer (has Windows XP and Microsoft
> Office 2003) I receive an error stating, "Word cannot start the converter
> mswrd632.wpc."
>
> I need to open the document at work. What steps do I need to take to
> accomplish this?

Windows 7 and Windows XP are irrelevant. The issue is the difference
in Word versions. Are you running Word 2007 on the home computer? If
so, read the following:

You have two choices:

1. On the work computer, download and install the free "Microsoft
Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 file
formats" at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101686761033.aspx

2. On your home computer open the file and save it again using "Save
as," not "Save" and save it as a "97-2003 document." You will then be
able to open it on the work computer,

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Patrick Keenan on
"strongminded" <strongminded(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I created a Word document on my home computer where I have Windows 7. When
> trying to open the document on my work computer (has Windows XP and
> Microsoft
> Office 2003) I receive an error stating, "Word cannot start the converter
> mswrd632.wpc."

While you'd expect this problem to be unrelated to XP or Windows 7 because
it involves Word, it seems that it's actually related to an XP security
update last December.

This KB entry shows the methods for resolving the problem (unregistering the
converter).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904

If the problem is on your work system and if you have an IT group that has
limited your rights on the machine, you'll have to get their help to fix
this - your account would have to be given full rights, the fix performed,
and then the rights limited again.

HTH
-pk

> I need to open the document at work. What steps do I need to take to
> accomplish this?
> --
> Strong-minded

 |  Next  |  Last