From: Alain191 on
Bonjour,

I try tu use a Lexmark Optra T with macosX.

This sytem cannot use "normally" this printer so I test a print server
betwen the UC and the printer. It is an AXIS 5400+

The IP adresse given by the test page obtained by the printer under
orders of the print server is 10.3.114.45, the first problem is that
macosX doesn't admit it when I give it to add this new printer (with
protocol LPD), a message is returned :
"Adresse invalide ou incomplete"

I may neglect this alert but then if I send pings, no one is recieved :
--- 10.3.114.45 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

Someone here can understand where is the problem ?

Is my way wrong and what other solution ?

Merci beaucoup

Alain
From: Warren Block on
Alain191 <alain(a)alussinan.org> wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I try tu use a Lexmark Optra T with macosX.
>
> This sytem cannot use "normally" this printer so I test a print server
> betwen the UC and the printer. It is an AXIS 5400+
>
> The IP adresse given by the test page obtained by the printer under
> orders of the print server is 10.3.114.45, the first problem is that
> macosX doesn't admit it when I give it to add this new printer (with
> protocol LPD), a message is returned :
> "Adresse invalide ou incomplete"
>
> I may neglect this alert but then if I send pings, no one is recieved :
> --- 10.3.114.45 ping statistics ---
> 10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
>
> Someone here can understand where is the problem ?

Printer connected directly to computer? Then you need a crossover
Ethernet cable. But you also usually need the printer and computer to
be in the same network (as in IP address and netmask) or have something
between that will send packets to the right place.

ICMP packets are sometimes disabled or blocked in a firewall in a
misguided attempt at security, and that could also explain why pings
aren't returning.

If this doesn't solve your problem, please provide details on how the
printer and computer are connected, switches or routers, IP addresses
and netmasks.

From: Alain191 on
Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:

> Alain191 <alain(a)alussinan.org> wrote:
> > Bonjour,
> >
> > I try tu use a Lexmark Optra T with macosX.
> >
> > This sytem cannot use "normally" this printer so I test a print server
> > betwen the UC and the printer. It is an AXIS 5400+
> >
> > The IP adresse given by the test page obtained by the printer under
> > orders of the print server is 10.3.114.45, the first problem is that
> > macosX doesn't admit it when I give it to add this new printer (with
> > protocol LPD), a message is returned :
> > "Adresse invalide ou incomplete"
> >
> > I may neglect this alert but then if I send pings, no one is recieved :
> > --- 10.3.114.45 ping statistics ---
> > 10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
> >
> > Someone here can understand where is the problem ?

Thank you for your answer,

> Printer connected directly to computer?

Yes, to avoid difficulties...

> Then you need a crossover
> Ethernet cable.

I made theses exp�rimentations with a cable wich works properly with an
other printer,

>But you also usually need the printer and computer to
> be in the same network (as in IP address and netmask) or have something
> between that will send packets to the right place.

I don't know about netmask but I'll learn,

> ICMP packets are sometimes disabled or blocked in a firewall in a
> misguided attempt at security, and that could also explain why pings
> aren't returning.

I'm not sure this happens here because an other printer works without
troubles, an HP 8150 witn a JetDirect615n internal server, without any
change in the system configuration,

> If this doesn't solve your problem, please provide details on how the
> printer and computer are connected, switches or routers, IP addresses
> and netmasks.

The connection is direct, without swich or router, during theses tests I
disconect my adsl modem, I use the IP adress which is given by the
configuration page of the printer and I have to learn about netmask...
this is not my domain and I understand that I have to learn it.

The test page printed by the Optra under Axix direction gives :
++++++begining of quote
Power-on time : 0 days, 0 hours, 3 minutes
Ethernet Auto Negotiation: Link down
Node address: 00:40:8C:58:01:60

TCP/IP: enabled
Internet address Default router Net mask
10.3.114.45 <automatic router sensing>

WINS: enabled
Name: AXIS580160

DNS: enabled
Name: AXIS580160

NetWare : enabled
PSERVER (Bindery) status
Print server name: AXIS580160
Connected to: Status:
<none connected>

PSERVER (NDS) statuts
Preferred server: <not configured>
Print server name: <not configured>
Connected to: Status:
<none connected>

NPRINTER status
Connected to: Slot: Status:
<none connected>

Microsoft Networks and LAN Server/LAN Manager: enabled
Printer name: AXIS580160.LPT1

Apple Ethertalk: enabled
Printer name Printer type Mode
AXIS580160_LPT1 LaserWriter Printer
AXIS580160_2
++++++end of quote

Note : 580160 are the last six characters of the serial number of the
Axix print server

Thank you for your help.

Alain
From: Warren Block on
Alain191 <alain(a)alussinan.org> wrote:
> Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
>> Alain191 <alain(a)alussinan.org> wrote:
>> > Bonjour,
>> >
>> > I try tu use a Lexmark Optra T with macosX.
>> > I may neglect this alert but then if I send pings, no one is recieved :
>> > --- 10.3.114.45 ping statistics ---
>> > 10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
>> >
>> Printer connected directly to computer?
>
> Yes, to avoid difficulties...
>
>> Then you need a crossover Ethernet cable.
>
> I made theses expérimentations with a cable wich works properly with an
> other printer,

That almost has to be a crossover (unless the other printer is
auto-crossover or configured that way). Still, the cable should be
clearly marked. (One way to tell: look at the colored wires in the
clear parts of the connectors. On a normal cable, the wires will be in
the same order on both connectors. On a crossover cable, the wires will
be in different orders.)

> I'm not sure this happens here because an other printer works without
> troubles, an HP 8150 witn a JetDirect615n internal server, without any
> change in the system configuration,

That's good, because it can tell you what you need to know about
configuring the Lexmark. Print a self-test page on the HP and find the
IP address and netmask.

Also, find the IP address and netmask of your computer. How to do that
depends on the operating system.

>> If this doesn't solve your problem, please provide details on how the
>> printer and computer are connected, switches or routers, IP addresses
>> and netmasks.
>
> The connection is direct, without swich or router, during theses tests I
> disconect my adsl modem, I use the IP adress which is given by the
> configuration page of the printer and I have to learn about netmask...
> this is not my domain and I understand that I have to learn it.
>
> The test page printed by the Optra under Axix direction gives :
> ++++++begining of quote
> Power-on time : 0 days, 0 hours, 3 minutes
> Ethernet Auto Negotiation: Link down

That says your cable is not talking.

> Node address: 00:40:8C:58:01:60
>
> TCP/IP: enabled
> Internet address Default router Net mask
> 10.3.114.45 <automatic router sensing>

That's an odd IP address, and the netmask isn't shown. Is this a used
printer?

Finally, an example:

Computer: 192.168.1.50 netmask 255.255.255.0
crossover cable to printer
Printer: 192.168.1.250 netmask 255.255.255.0

From: Warren Block on
Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
> Alain191 <alain(a)alussinan.org> wrote:
>>
>> I made theses expérimentations with a cable wich works properly with an
>> other printer,
>
> That almost has to be a crossover (unless the other printer is
> auto-crossover or configured that way).

Or the computer Ethernet port is auto MDI-X, which it apparently is on
many recent Macs.