From: jcage on
Hi,

I can't seem to get my 'add a printer' feature to work on my XPpro
machine. I continue to get installation failure errors. I've been to
the microsoft site and tried the deleting \windows\system32\spool\
files and registry tweaks listed but nothing seems to work. It's an
Epson C88+ printer that has been installed on this system before and
won't work either via parallel or USB installation. It works fine on
my laptop but not my desktop. Currently, I don't have any printer
installed on this machine and am hoping for some help in changing
that... :-) TIA
From: JD on
jcage(a)lycos.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to get my 'add a printer' feature to work on my XPpro
> machine. I continue to get installation failure errors. I've been to
> the microsoft site and tried the deleting \windows\system32\spool\
> files and registry tweaks listed but nothing seems to work. It's an
> Epson C88+ printer that has been installed on this system before and
> won't work either via parallel or USB installation. It works fine on
> my laptop but not my desktop. Currently, I don't have any printer
> installed on this machine and am hoping for some help in changing
> that... :-) TIA

Do you have the install software for the printer? I believe with Epson
printers you need to install their software first and then hook up the
printer. It's been a while since I installed my Epson printer but I
think that's how it works best.

You'll need the install CD or DVD that came with the printer or you may
be able to get the software on Epson's web page. How old is the C88+
printer?

--
JD..
From: nicola tesla on
On May 31, 6:24 pm, "jc...(a)lycos.com" <jc...(a)lycos.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to get my 'add a printer' feature to work on my XPpro
> machine.  I continue to get installation failure errors.  I've been to
> the microsoft site and tried the deleting \windows\system32\spool\
> files and registry tweaks listed but nothing seems to work.  It's an
> Epson C88+ printer that has been installed on this system before and
> won't work either via parallel or USB installation.  It works fine on
> my laptop but not my desktop.  Currently, I don't have any printer
> installed on this machine and am hoping for some help in changing
> that... :-)   TIA

delete the Epson software, turn off the fire wall and anti virus,
install the Epson software, restart the computer, connect the printer,
restart the computer, turn the fire wall and anti virus back on.
click my computer
click control panel
click faxes and printers
Is the Epson printer on the list?
Is there a check mark next to the Epson printer on the list?
If there is no check mark,
point at the Epson printer on the list
right click
left click install printer
restart the computer, check the list again, test the printer.
From: sandy58 on
On Jun 1, 2:24 am, "jc...(a)lycos.com" <jc...(a)lycos.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to get my 'add a printer' feature to work on my XPpro
> machine.  I continue to get installation failure errors.  I've been to
> the microsoft site and tried the deleting \windows\system32\spool\
> files and registry tweaks listed but nothing seems to work.  It's an
> Epson C88+ printer that has been installed on this system before and
> won't work either via parallel or USB installation.  It works fine on
> my laptop but not my desktop.  Currently, I don't have any printer
> installed on this machine and am hoping for some help in changing
> that... :-)   TIA

If, after following nicola tesla's excellent advice, it still does not
work just unplug the power and replug it immediately and try it again.
Good luck
From: jcage on
Still a no-go... I get a 'found new hardware' wizard that fails
indicating there is a problem installing this hardware. Printer works
fine on a laptop via USB but I can't get it to work on my main desktop
either with USB or Parallel and it used to work fine so... Am thinking
there may be some tweak in the registry necessary (key that has to be
deleted, etc) to do a clean install. Any other ideas are
appreciated... :-)