From: Stu B Stu on
Recently in Excel when I click on Page Setup or Print Preview, the response
time slows to a crawl, as does every operation after that, like scrolling or
adding rows or columns.

I recently installed an HP Officejet Pro 8000, which uses a USB connection
to an older Dell desktop. This printer replaced an HP Laserjet which used an
LPT1 cable.
Is the USB connection my problem?
From: Bruce Sinclair on
In article <89EB6D51-23CD-41EC-8DAD-648C74D1B04F(a)microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?U3R1IEI=?= <Stu B(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Recently in Excel when I click on Page Setup or Print Preview, the response
>time slows to a crawl, as does every operation after that, like scrolling or
>adding rows or columns.
>
>I recently installed an HP Officejet Pro 8000, which uses a USB connection
>to an older Dell desktop. This printer replaced an HP Laserjet which used an
>LPT1 cable.
>Is the USB connection my problem?

The physical printer probably isn't, but if you changed printer driver (as
seems likely here), that might be. IIRC, changing printers (drivers
effectively) in XL 2003 sometimes slowed things down.

HTH

From: Gary Keramidas on
may not be of much help, but go ahead and read this blog post.

http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2010/02/16/migrating-excel-4-macros-to-vba.aspx

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

From: Dave Peterson on
After you've done a print or print preview, you'll see that excel is displaying
those little dotted lines showing where the page breaks are.

If you're inserting/deleting rows or columns, then excel has to recalculate the
location of those dotted lines.

So I'd try to remove those dotted lines to see if the response time comes back
to normal.

In xl2003 menus, it's:
Tools|Options|View tab|uncheck Page breaks

Stu B wrote:

> Recently in Excel when I click on Page Setup or Print Preview, the response
> time slows to a crawl, as does every operation after that, like scrolling or
> adding rows or columns.
>
> I recently installed an HP Officejet Pro 8000, which uses a USB connection
> to an older Dell desktop. This printer replaced an HP Laserjet which used an
> LPT1 cable.
> Is the USB connection my problem?

--

Dave Peterson