From: Pygmalion on
On Aug 12, 1:06 pm, John Tserkezis
<j...(a)techniciansyndrome.org.invalid> wrote:

>  The chance you'll find one as a PCB only is very unlikely, however, if
> you *really* like it that way, I'm sure a screwdriver can fix that
> easily enough.
>
>  This is about as cheap as you're going to get, and I'm guessing you're
> not going to fit one of those within the printer anyway due to lack of
> space...  As I said, they're not real big, so won't adversely add to the
> clutter anyway.
>
>  I've just looked one up (google TL-PS110P, US$40-50 via ebay), and this
> is quite small, about the size of a very chunky centronics plug. (not
> including wall wart).  It appears to have a limited printer support
> list, so be sure to check on that if you're going for this one.

Oh gosh, then it is more reasonable to buy a new LAN printer. Despite
my current one works just perfectly after so many years...

I would prefer DIY option. I love making and repairing electronic
stuff and price would be even lower. So if it is possible to make
"land line modem" to connect parallel to ethernet, this would be
perfect. I can make DC power supply myself.

If this is not possible, never mind.

Thanks, Marko
From: Spehro Pefhany on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 05:06:21 -0700 (PDT), Pygmalion
<gutta.lapidem.cavat(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Aug 12, 1:06�pm, John Tserkezis
><j...(a)techniciansyndrome.org.invalid> wrote:
>
>> �The chance you'll find one as a PCB only is very unlikely, however, if
>> you *really* like it that way, I'm sure a screwdriver can fix that
>> easily enough.
>>
>> �This is about as cheap as you're going to get, and I'm guessing you're
>> not going to fit one of those within the printer anyway due to lack of
>> space... �As I said, they're not real big, so won't adversely add to the
>> clutter anyway.
>>
>> �I've just looked one up (google TL-PS110P, US$40-50 via ebay), and this
>> is quite small, about the size of a very chunky centronics plug. (not
>> including wall wart). �It appears to have a limited printer support
>> list, so be sure to check on that if you're going for this one.
>
>Oh gosh, then it is more reasonable to buy a new LAN printer. Despite
>my current one works just perfectly after so many years...
>
>I would prefer DIY option. I love making and repairing electronic
>stuff and price would be even lower. So if it is possible to make
>"land line modem" to connect parallel to ethernet, this would be
>perfect. I can make DC power supply myself.
>
>If this is not possible, never mind.
>
>Thanks, Marko

It's completely possible, but I have noted that the cheap print
servers tend to frequently hang up and require reset. I've had no
problems with low end (Samsung color) and high end (HP workgroup)
printers with built-in Ethernet interfaces. YMMV.

From: linnix on
On Aug 12, 5:06 am, Pygmalion <gutta.lapidem.ca...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 1:06 pm, John Tserkezis
>
> <j...(a)techniciansyndrome.org.invalid> wrote:
> >  The chance you'll find one as a PCB only is very unlikely, however, if
> > you *really* like it that way, I'm sure a screwdriver can fix that
> > easily enough.
>
> >  This is about as cheap as you're going to get, and I'm guessing you're
> > not going to fit one of those within the printer anyway due to lack of
> > space...  As I said, they're not real big, so won't adversely add to the
> > clutter anyway.
>
> >  I've just looked one up (google TL-PS110P, US$40-50 via ebay), and this
> > is quite small, about the size of a very chunky centronics plug. (not
> > including wall wart).  It appears to have a limited printer support
> > list, so be sure to check on that if you're going for this one.
>
> Oh gosh, then it is more reasonable to buy a new LAN printer.  Despite
> my current one works just perfectly after so many years...
>
> I would prefer DIY option.  I love making and repairing electronic
> stuff and price would be even lower.  So if it is possible to make
> "land line modem" to connect parallel to ethernet, this would be
> perfect.  I can make DC power supply myself.
>
> If this is not possible, never mind.
>
> Thanks, Marko

Of course it's possible. Any uC with USB host and Ethernet will do.
For example, the NXP LPC1758 will give you plenty of resources to
DIY. If you don't like NXP, you can pick from TI, ST, Atmel, Nuvoton,
etc.

From: Michael A. Terrell on

Pygmalion wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I would like to turn my USB printer into an ethernet printer. Instead
> of buying stand-alone printer server, I would rather build printer
> server PCB into my printer and take power from printer itself.
>
> Are printer server PCBs available for buying or DIY?

Why, when you can buy a wired/wireless USB 2.0 print server for
$24.99 + shipping?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AMPS240W&cpc=SCH
From: whit3rd on
On Aug 12, 12:54 am, Pygmalion <gutta.lapidem.ca...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to turn my USB printer into an ethernet printer.  Instead
> of buying stand-alone printer server, I would rather build ...

So, if the printer fails, you have to throw away the printer server,
too?
Lots of network appliances have the printer-server function built in,
just buy one. Airport Express will handle 802.11N wireless,
wired Ethernet, and streaming audio, as well as putting your
USB printer on the network for any computer that does
Bonjour (it's an open standard, most OS'es have it). About $100.