From: Pygmalion on

Hello!

I would like to turn my USB printer into an ethernet printer. Instead
of buying stand-alone printer server, I would rather build printer
server PCB into my printer and take power from printer itself.

Are printer server PCBs available for buying or DIY?

Regards,

Marko
From: John Tserkezis on
Pygmalion wrote:

> I would like to turn my USB printer into an ethernet printer. Instead
> of buying stand-alone printer server, I would rather build printer
> server PCB into my printer and take power from printer itself.

Cost-wise, that's probably not going end well for you. And if you
insist on doing that way, perhaps a small form factor PC case while
sitting the printer on top would do better.

> Are printer server PCBs available for buying or DIY?

A perhaps may-be option is an Ethernet printer interface (unless, it's
just occurred to me, that's what you were talking about anyway), which
supplies an Ethernet printer interface on one end, and a standard
printer parallel interface on the other. It otherwise looks sort of
like an land line modem. A few sockets, a few leds and a wall wart for
power.

That is of course, if your printer has a parallel interface too (some
do, some don't).

If it's only USB, then you're out of luck (cheaply anyway). And for
good reason too:

USB only printers are designed to a price. The cheapest possible
price. And you don't get Ethernet connectivity because they're not
designed to be run with the throughput that Ethernet printers usually get.

I understand you might be the exception to the rule, but that's what
you're looking at either way.
From: Pygmalion on
>  A perhaps may-be option is an Ethernet printer interface (unless, it's
> just occurred to me, that's what you were talking about anyway), which
> supplies an Ethernet printer interface on one end, and a standard
> printer parallel interface on the other.  It otherwise looks sort of
> like an land line modem.  A few sockets, a few leds and a wall wart for
> power.
>
>  That is of course, if your printer has a parallel interface too (some
> do, some don't).

My printer does have a parallel interface and I do look for Ethernet
printer interface. So, is there a PCB available for that?

Thanks, Marko
From: Spehro Pefhany on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 01:58:14 -0700 (PDT), the renowned Pygmalion
<gutta.lapidem.cavat(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> �A perhaps may-be option is an Ethernet printer interface (unless, it's
>> just occurred to me, that's what you were talking about anyway), which
>> supplies an Ethernet printer interface on one end, and a standard
>> printer parallel interface on the other. �It otherwise looks sort of
>> like an land line modem. �A few sockets, a few leds and a wall wart for
>> power.
>>
>> �That is of course, if your printer has a parallel interface too (some
>> do, some don't).
>
>My printer does have a parallel interface and I do look for Ethernet
>printer interface. So, is there a PCB available for that?
>
>Thanks, Marko

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=print+server&x=0&y=0

Take one of these that meets your requirement out of the plastic case,
and you have your PCB.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff(a)interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
From: John Tserkezis on
Pygmalion wrote:

>> That is of course, if your printer has a parallel interface too (some
>> do, some don't).

> My printer does have a parallel interface and I do look for Ethernet
> printer interface. So, is there a PCB available for that?

The chance you'll find one as a PCB only is very unlikely, however, if
you *really* like it that way, I'm sure a screwdriver can fix that
easily enough.

This is about as cheap as you're going to get, and I'm guessing you're
not going to fit one of those within the printer anyway due to lack of
space... As I said, they're not real big, so won't adversely add to the
clutter anyway.

I've just looked one up (google TL-PS110P, US$40-50 via ebay), and this
is quite small, about the size of a very chunky centronics plug. (not
including wall wart). It appears to have a limited printer support
list, so be sure to check on that if you're going for this one.
--
OPERATOR! Trace this call and tell me where I am.