From: hfruchtl on
Our old deskjet has finally given up after six or seven years, and I'm
not sure if we should replace it with another inkjet or move to a
laser.

Money is of minor concern (within limits). Usage is low (10-30 pages
per week, I would estimate). Having frequently been in the situation
where you frantically try to print a map or a ticket while the taxi is
waiting, it would be interesting which printers take least time from
switched off until the first page is out. I know that lasers are
faster once they are running, but the 100-page scenario is a very rare
one in our household.

Any recommendations? Duplex printing would be a plus, and color, of
course.

Thanks in advance,

Herbert
From: Bast on

hfruchtl wrote:
> Our old deskjet has finally given up after six or seven years, and I'm
> not sure if we should replace it with another inkjet or move to a
> laser.
>
> Money is of minor concern (within limits). Usage is low (10-30 pages
> per week, I would estimate). Having frequently been in the situation
> where you frantically try to print a map or a ticket while the taxi is
> waiting, it would be interesting which printers take least time from
> switched off until the first page is out. I know that lasers are
> faster once they are running, but the 100-page scenario is a very rare
> one in our household.
>
> Any recommendations? Duplex printing would be a plus, and color, of
> course.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Herbert

Is power consumption that critical ?
For what the printer uses when it's on but not printing, as opposed to the
power a computer sucks up, just put it on a UPS, and leave it on.
People with all in ones that have fax capability do it all the time.

From: hfruchtl on
On 17 June, 18:17, "Bast" <faken...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
> hfruchtl wrote:
> > Our old deskjet has finally given up after six or seven years, and I'm
> > not sure if we should replace it with another inkjet or move to a
> > laser.
>
> > Money is of minor concern (within limits). Usage is low (10-30 pages
> > per week, I would estimate). Having frequently been in the situation
> > where you frantically try to print a map or a ticket while the taxi is
> > waiting, it would be interesting which printers take least time from
> > switched off until the first page is out. I know that lasers are
> > faster once they are running, but the 100-page scenario is a very rare
> > one in our household.
>
> > Any recommendations? Duplex printing would be a plus, and color, of
> > course.
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> >  Herbert
>
> Is power consumption that critical ?
> For what the printer uses when it's on but not printing, as opposed to the
> power a computer sucks up, just put it on a UPS, and leave it on.
> People with all in ones that have fax capability do it all the time.

Just trying to be green. I know it's small fry, and a mile by car
probably equates to months of printing, but it still annoys me that
the house is alight with standby lights...

Herbert