From: Tobias on
A family member has one of these beasts.

It performed satisfactorily for several months after purchase, but then
suddenly developed an aversion to being on line whilst in the wireless mode.
It operates fine wirelessly for a while (10 - 20 odd minutes) and then
reports itself as being offline. I cannot tie in this behaviour to any
specific causation in the computer i.e. the same task is not producing a
similar result each time it is performed, as far as I can ascertain. There
may, of course, be some event occurring in the bowels of the machine of
which I am blissfully unaware.

Investigation on the net reveals that we are not alone in this problem and
that there are many others having identical problems, which offers
reassurance of a sort. There are many "solutions" to the problem offered by
individuals many of which I have tired, and yes, I have tried the latest
drivers from the HP website, all with no result, the problem persists.

Can anyone offer a solution that for them does work, then I can remove the
wired link, which when fitted allows the printer to perform faultlessly and
return to wireless operation, this being far more convenient.

Thanks for any helpful replies.

From: andmalc on
On Jun 17, 2:27 pm, "Tobias" <T...(a)usenet.com> wrote:
> A family member has one of these beasts.
>
> It performed satisfactorily for several months after purchase, but then
> suddenly developed an aversion to being on line whilst in the wireless mode.
> It operates fine wirelessly for a while (10 - 20 odd minutes) and then
> reports itself as being offline. I cannot tie in this behaviour to any
> specific causation in the computer i.e. the same task is not producing a
> similar result each time it is performed, as far as I can ascertain. There
> may, of course, be some event occurring in the bowels of the machine of
> which I am blissfully unaware.
>
> Investigation on the net reveals that we are not alone in this problem and
> that there are many others having identical problems, which offers
> reassurance of a sort. There are many "solutions" to the problem offered by
> individuals many of which I have tired, and yes, I have tried the latest
> drivers from the HP website, all with no result, the problem persists.

I see you posted this a couple of weeks ago. In case your family
member is still looking for an answer, here are some suggestions.

First, this model was released in 2008. If your family member has
owned it just for 'several months', they should look into why the
retailer was selling an outdated model. If the model was refurbished,
you have no warranty from HP.

Nonetheless, this printer did not have any major wireless issues. In
my experience as an (until very recently) HP phone tech, problems with
wireless connections are caused by:

- inadequate electrical power, often caused by a malfunctioning power
bar
- interference from other devices such as 2.4GHz cordless phones
(these would be older ones)
- computer's wireless connection has switched to a different network
then the one the printer is on
- more than one router on the local network
- flakey routers

In this case, I would start power cycling the router and making sure
the computer is staying on the right network. If that doesn't help,
try unplugging the printer power, wait 1 minute, and plug it directly
to a wall socket.

If the printer is in warranty, you can also call HP for assistance.
From: Tobias on

"andmalc" <andmalc(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jun 17, 2:27 pm, "Tobias" <T...(a)usenet.com> wrote:
> A family member has one of these beasts.
>
> It performed satisfactorily for several months after purchase, but then
> suddenly developed an aversion to being on line whilst in the wireless
> mode.
> It operates fine wirelessly for a while (10 - 20 odd minutes) and then
> reports itself as being offline. I cannot tie in this behaviour to any
> specific causation in the computer i.e. the same task is not producing a
> similar result each time it is performed, as far as I can ascertain. There
> may, of course, be some event occurring in the bowels of the machine of
> which I am blissfully unaware.
>
> Investigation on the net reveals that we are not alone in this problem and
> that there are many others having identical problems, which offers
> reassurance of a sort. There are many "solutions" to the problem offered
> by
> individuals many of which I have tired, and yes, I have tried the latest
> drivers from the HP website, all with no result, the problem persists.

I see you posted this a couple of weeks ago. In case your family
member is still looking for an answer, here are some suggestions.

First, this model was released in 2008. If your family member has
owned it just for 'several months', they should look into why the
retailer was selling an outdated model. If the model was refurbished,
you have no warranty from HP.

Nonetheless, this printer did not have any major wireless issues. In
my experience as an (until very recently) HP phone tech, problems with
wireless connections are caused by:

- inadequate electrical power, often caused by a malfunctioning power
bar
- interference from other devices such as 2.4GHz cordless phones
(these would be older ones)
- computer's wireless connection has switched to a different network
then the one the printer is on
- more than one router on the local network
- flakey routers

Thanks for the suggestions andmalc.

The printer was bought a couple of years ago and did perform faultlessly for
12-18 months. It may have been some time before the problem was reported to
me.

There are many comments concerning the wireless capabilities of this printer
which can be Googled, along with many solutions, unfortunately none of which
work. None of them I've tried anyway. There are reports of persons having
bought several of these machines and discarded them for something that
works.

Back to my case in point. The printer router and laptop are within about a
metre of one another, with the laptop connecting faultlessly to the router
(a D-Link - model not currently known). Electrical supplies are good to both
printer, router and laptop (an electrician lives there - and I used to work
in the power industry). There are other wireless sources, apart from the
router, and I can't totally discount the printer's preference for one of
them, though at the last time of checking all signals were a lot weaker than
the "home" one, which is WEP encoded. Laptop stays on the "home" router
because all the local signals (last time of checking) were either WEP or
WPA? encoded, in any case, why would either connect to a weaker signal?

Thanks for the reassurances about no major wireless issues for this model,
you may not have heard many, but you don't have to look far on the web to
find plenty. In terms of production figures these may not represent a large
proportion, but not all those with problems may have commented about them on
the net, or to yourselves, as I say there are plenty!

I will try your power cycling, which I have already partially done. At the
moment the problem has been "solved" by connecting via a wire.

Thanks for your help.

From: Priam on
On 06/17/2010 02:27 PM, Tobias wrote:
> A family member has one of these beasts.
>
> It performed satisfactorily for several months after purchase, but then
> suddenly developed an aversion to being on line whilst in the wireless mode.
> It operates fine wirelessly for a while (10 - 20 odd minutes) and then
> reports itself as being offline. I cannot tie in this behaviour to any
> specific causation in the computer i.e. the same task is not producing a
> similar result each time it is performed, as far as I can ascertain. There
> may, of course, be some event occurring in the bowels of the machine of
> which I am blissfully unaware.
>
> Investigation on the net reveals that we are not alone in this problem and
> that there are many others having identical problems, which offers
> reassurance of a sort. There are many "solutions" to the problem offered by
> individuals many of which I have tired, and yes, I have tried the latest
> drivers from the HP website, all with no result, the problem persists.
>
> Can anyone offer a solution that for them does work, then I can remove the
> wired link, which when fitted allows the printer to perform faultlessly and
> return to wireless operation, this being far more convenient.
>
> Thanks for any helpful replies.

See if it works with Linux. This is what this guy first checked:

<http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1278874285050+28353475&threadId=1181763>

If it works with Linux, call Microsoft support and tell them the
communist OS works better than their. I'm sure they'll be very eager to
find a solution :)

Other solution proposals here:

<http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-networking-and-wireless/Photosmart-C4380-wi-fi-problem/td-p/345>

I would like to help you more but, unfortunately, I never got an
occasion to become a printer expert with Linux and HP.

From: Tobias on

"Priam" <priam(a)notsosure.com> wrote in message
> On 06/17/2010 02:27 PM, Tobias wrote:
>> A family member has one of these beasts.
>>
>> It performed satisfactorily for several months after purchase, but then
>> suddenly developed an aversion to being on line whilst in the wireless
>> mode.
>> It operates fine wirelessly for a while (10 - 20 odd minutes) and then
>> reports itself as being offline. I cannot tie in this behaviour to any
>> specific causation in the computer i.e. the same task is not producing a
>> similar result each time it is performed, as far as I can ascertain.
>> There
>> may, of course, be some event occurring in the bowels of the machine of
>> which I am blissfully unaware.
>>
>> Investigation on the net reveals that we are not alone in this problem
>> and
>> that there are many others having identical problems, which offers
>> reassurance of a sort. There are many "solutions" to the problem offered
>> by
>> individuals many of which I have tired, and yes, I have tried the latest
>> drivers from the HP website, all with no result, the problem persists.
>>
>> Can anyone offer a solution that for them does work, then I can remove
>> the
>> wired link, which when fitted allows the printer to perform faultlessly
>> and
>> return to wireless operation, this being far more convenient.
>>
>> Thanks for any helpful replies.
>
> See if it works with Linux. This is what this guy first checked:
>
> <http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1278874285050+28353475&threadId=1181763>
>
> If it works with Linux, call Microsoft support and tell them the communist
> OS works better than their. I'm sure they'll be very eager to find a
> solution :)
>
> Other solution proposals here:
>
> <http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-networking-and-wireless/Photosmart-C4380-wi-fi-problem/td-p/345>
>
> I would like to help you more but, unfortunately, I never got an occasion
> to become a printer expert with Linux and HP.

Thanks Priam

I will try the solution of the gent suggesting altering the MTU value from
1500 to 1492, but this entry does not seem to appear in the registry of my
XP machine (not the machine afflicted with the problem, which is running
Vista), so it seems likely that the line is installed by the HP installation
software and not down to MS at all, in which case why did it work initially
and not now. The HP installation was not changed before the trouble started,
so the only explanation is that MS created an unfavourable interaction with
a HP registry entry during an operating system update?

I'll give it a go anyway. Thanks for your discovery of a potential solution
that I missed.

Tobias