From: Joe on
I have two Windows 2008 Terminal Servers on identical hardware one of them
with SP1 (We will call this one TS1) installed and the other with SP2 (We
will call this one TS2) installed.

I have the same applications installed on each server with the same
configuration, so that the only differences between the two Terminal Servers,
are the names of the servers and the Service Pack Level.

Easy Print is the driver of choice on both Terminal Servers, I have not
installed any other drivers on these servers.

I have a Client Computer connecting to these Terminal Servers. Windows XP
SP3, running RDC 6.1, with an HP Laserjet 5 networked to it.

Now when I connect to TS1 (SP1) with my client and run my accouting
application to print a check, it generates the check, redirects it to the
local printer and prints in a very timely manner (right away, no lag)
Watching the Print spooler on the client computer show that a 185K document
was sent to the printer.

Now when I connect to TS2 (SP2) with my client and run the same accouting
application and print the same check, it generates the check, redirects it to
the local printer. This is where things get wierd. Watching the Print
spooler on the client shows that a 2.85M document was sent to the Print
Spooler, this of course takes a while to process, then it finally (3 to 5
minutes later) sends it to the Printer, which then takes another (3 to 5
minutes) to print the document.

Keep in mind that the only difference between the servers is the Service
Pack Level, The client is the same in both cases.

What happened to printing between SP1 and SP2?
Why is there such a huge difference in the size of the document being
spooled?
Where did the performance go?

Is there a hotfix available to fix this?
From: moncho on
On 5/24/2010 12:35 PM, Joe wrote:
> I have two Windows 2008 Terminal Servers on identical hardware one of them
> with SP1 (We will call this one TS1) installed and the other with SP2 (We
> will call this one TS2) installed.
>
> I have the same applications installed on each server with the same
> configuration, so that the only differences between the two Terminal Servers,
> are the names of the servers and the Service Pack Level.
>
> Easy Print is the driver of choice on both Terminal Servers, I have not
> installed any other drivers on these servers.
>
> I have a Client Computer connecting to these Terminal Servers. Windows XP
> SP3, running RDC 6.1, with an HP Laserjet 5 networked to it.
>
> Now when I connect to TS1 (SP1) with my client and run my accouting
> application to print a check, it generates the check, redirects it to the
> local printer and prints in a very timely manner (right away, no lag)
> Watching the Print spooler on the client computer show that a 185K document
> was sent to the printer.
>
> Now when I connect to TS2 (SP2) with my client and run the same accouting
> application and print the same check, it generates the check, redirects it to
> the local printer. This is where things get wierd. Watching the Print
> spooler on the client shows that a 2.85M document was sent to the Print
> Spooler, this of course takes a while to process, then it finally (3 to 5
> minutes later) sends it to the Printer, which then takes another (3 to 5
> minutes) to print the document.
>
> Keep in mind that the only difference between the servers is the Service
> Pack Level, The client is the same in both cases.
>
> What happened to printing between SP1 and SP2?
> Why is there such a huge difference in the size of the document being
> spooled?
> Where did the performance go?
>
> Is there a hotfix available to fix this?

I have not found a hotfix for this and the same problem resides on W2K8
R2. I never found a resolution to lower the size of the print job so
I went back to using printer redirection in W2K3.

I know your pain.

moncho