From: Kadin2048 on
I'm having some trouble getting FreeBSD 8.0 working on a Compaq
Presario 2100 laptop with a Prism 2.5 ("wi" driver) MiniPCI card.
I've been playing with it for a while and just can't quite seem to get
it working... any suggestions are welcome.

After a totally fresh (reformat) installation, the hardware seems to
be recognized; ifconfig shows the "wi0" device with status "no carrier".

Per the wi(4) manpage, I tried creating the "wlan0" device and
configuring it by running:

ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev wi0 \
wlanmode station \
inet 192.168.0.34 netmask 255.255.255.0 \
ssid <MyNetworkSSID>

It runs without errors, spitting out the MAC. Afterwards, ifconfig
shows the new wlan0 interface, and everything looks good except that
it says "status: no carrier". And of course nothing actually goes
through.

I know I am within range of the AP, and WEP/WPA are disabled. The
hardware was known to be good before I hosed the machine off to put
FreeBSD on, so I don't think that's the issue.

I feel like I must be missing something, but can't quite figure it
out. According to the wi docs, I ought to be connected ... but it's
not.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance,
Kadin.
From: John Rushford on
On Nov 27, 3:21 pm, Kadin2048 <Ka...(a)address.invalid> wrote:
> I'm having some trouble getting FreeBSD 8.0 working on a Compaq
> Presario 2100 laptop with a Prism 2.5 ("wi" driver) MiniPCI card.
> I've been playing with it for a while and just can't quite seem to get
> it working... any suggestions are welcome.
>
> After a totally fresh (reformat) installation, the hardware seems to
> be recognized; ifconfig shows the "wi0" device with status "no carrier".
>
> Per the wi(4) manpage, I tried creating the "wlan0" device and
> configuring it by running:
>
>    ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev wi0 \
>    wlanmode station \
>    inet 192.168.0.34 netmask 255.255.255.0 \
>    ssid <MyNetworkSSID>
>
> It runs without errors, spitting out the MAC.  Afterwards, ifconfig
> shows the new wlan0 interface, and everything looks good except that
> it says "status: no carrier".  And of course nothing actually goes
> through.
>
> I know I am within range of the AP, and WEP/WPA are disabled.  The
> hardware was known to be good before I hosed the machine off to put
> FreeBSD on, so I don't think that's the issue.
>
> I feel like I must be missing something, but can't quite figure it
> out.  According to the wi docs, I ought to be connected ... but it's
> not.
>
> Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance,
> Kadin.

Try adding this to /etc/rc.conf and reboot:

ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP"
wlans_wi0="wlan0"

I'm using a Linksys usb wifi stick recognized by the rum driver with
WPA. My rc.conf looks like:

ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
wlans_rum0="wlan0"

For the WPA settings, I have /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf as:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
network={
ssid="myssid"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="secret_password"
}

From: John Rushford on
On Nov 27, 7:11 pm, John Rushford <jjrushf...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 3:21 pm, Kadin2048 <Ka...(a)address.invalid> wrote:
>

> > I'm having some trouble getting FreeBSD 8.0 working on a Compaq
> > Presario 2100 laptop with a Prism 2.5 ("wi" driver) MiniPCI card.
> > I've been playing with it for a while and just can't quite seem to get
> > it working... any suggestions are welcome.
>
> > After a totally fresh (reformat) installation, the hardware seems to
> > be recognized; ifconfig shows the "wi0" device with status "no carrier"..
>
> > Per the wi(4) manpage, I tried creating the "wlan0" device and
> > configuring it by running:
>
> >    ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev wi0 \
> >    wlanmode station \
> >    inet 192.168.0.34 netmask 255.255.255.0 \
> >    ssid <MyNetworkSSID>
>
> > It runs without errors, spitting out the MAC.  Afterwards, ifconfig
> > shows the new wlan0 interface, and everything looks good except that
> > it says "status: no carrier".  And of course nothing actually goes
> > through.
>
> > I know I am within range of the AP, and WEP/WPA are disabled.  The
> > hardware was known to be good before I hosed the machine off to put
> > FreeBSD on, so I don't think that's the issue.
>
> > I feel like I must be missing something, but can't quite figure it
> > out.  According to the wi docs, I ought to be connected ... but it's
> > not.
>
> > Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance,
> > Kadin.
>
> Try adding this to /etc/rc.conf and reboot:
>
> ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP"
> wlans_wi0="wlan0"
>
> I'm using a Linksys usb wifi stick recognized by the rum driver with
> WPA.  My rc.conf looks like:
>
> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
> wlans_rum0="wlan0"
>
> For the WPA settings, I have /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf as:
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=wheel
> network={
>         ssid="myssid"
>         scan_ssid=1
>         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>         psk="secret_password"
>
> }

Oops forgot to mention that I had to add these to /boot/loader.conf,
you probably need wlan_scan_ap_load and wlan_scan_sta_load at the very
least:

wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
wlan_scan_ap_load="YES"
wlan_scan_sta_load="YES"

From: Kadin2048 on
On 2009-11-28, John Rushford <jjrushford(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Try adding this to /etc/rc.conf and reboot:
>>
>> ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP"
>> wlans_wi0="wlan0"

Thanks. I added this to my rc.conf. It now looks like:

defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
hostname="myhostname.mydomain.net"
wlans_wi0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP"

> Oops forgot to mention that I had to add these to /boot/loader.conf,
> you probably need wlan_scan_ap_load and wlan_scan_sta_load at the very
> least:
>
> wlan_wep_load="YES"
> wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
> wlan_tkip_load="YES"
> wlan_scan_ap_load="YES"
> wlan_scan_sta_load="YES"

Is this still true with 8.0? I noticed in /usr/src/UPDATING, 20080420
[1], it says: "As part of the multi-bss changes the wlan_scan_ap and
wlan_scan_sta modules were merged into the base wlan module. All
references to these modules (e.g. in kernel config files) must be
removed." At any rate, I tried it both ways; it doesn't seem to make
a difference either way.

When I reboot in this configuration, after the loopback interface is
brought up, I get messages like:

route: writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
add net default: gateway 192.168.0.1: Network is unreachable

ifconfig shows the wlan0 interface now, without having to manually
create it, but it reads as "status: no carrier". Nothing I can do via
ifconfig (adding ssid, adding IP addr and netmask, bringing down and
up) seems to make it do anything.

Here's the output from ifconfig (retyped, apologies for any errors):

wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
ether [MAC addr]
media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
status: no carrier
ssid [MySSID] channel 2 (2417 Mhz 11b)
country US authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 0 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60

Can anyone think of anything else that I'm missing, that would be
stopping it from connecting?

Thanks,
Kadin.

[1]: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/UPDATING?rev=1.648
From: John Rushford on
On Nov 27, 10:02 pm, Kadin2048 <Ka...(a)address.invalid> wrote:
> On 2009-11-28, John Rushford <jjrushf...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Try adding this to /etc/rc.conf and reboot:
>
> >> ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP"
> >> wlans_wi0="wlan0"
>
> Thanks.  I added this to my rc.conf.  It now looks like:
>
>    defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
>    hostname="myhostname.mydomain.net"
>    wlans_wi0="wlan0"
>    ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP"
>
> > Oops forgot to mention that I had to add these to /boot/loader.conf,
> > you probably need wlan_scan_ap_load and wlan_scan_sta_load at the very
> > least:
>
> > wlan_wep_load="YES"
> > wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
> > wlan_tkip_load="YES"
> > wlan_scan_ap_load="YES"
> > wlan_scan_sta_load="YES"
>
> Is this still true with 8.0?  I noticed in /usr/src/UPDATING, 20080420
> [1], it says: "As part of the multi-bss changes the wlan_scan_ap and
> wlan_scan_sta modules were merged into the base wlan module.  All
> references to these modules (e.g. in kernel config files) must be
> removed."  At any rate, I tried it both ways; it doesn't seem to make
> a difference either way.
>
> When I reboot in this configuration, after the loopback interface is
> brought up, I get messages like:
>
>    route: writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
>    add net default: gateway 192.168.0.1: Network is unreachable
>
> ifconfig shows the wlan0 interface now, without having to manually
> create it, but it reads as "status: no carrier".  Nothing I can do via
> ifconfig (adding ssid, adding IP addr and netmask, bringing down and
> up) seems to make it do anything.
>
> Here's the output from ifconfig (retyped, apologies for any errors):
>
> wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>        ether [MAC addr]
>        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
>        status: no carrier
>        ssid [MySSID] channel 2 (2417 Mhz 11b)
>        country US authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 0 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60
>
> Can anyone think of anything else that I'm missing, that would be
> stopping it from connecting?
>
> Thanks,
> Kadin.
>
> [1]:http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/UPDATING?rev=1.648

I did not see that note in /usr/src/UPDATING until you mentioned it.
I removed wlan_scan_ap_load and wlan_scan_sta_load and from /boot/
loader.conf and my wireless network is functioning normally.

What does ifconfig show for wi0? With the rc.conf settings from
above, mine looks like (using rum):

rum0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
2290
ether 00:16:b6:50:a8:42
media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g
status: associated
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
1500
ether 00:16:b6:50:a8:42
inet 192.168.1.61 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet OFDM/48Mbps mode 11g
status: associated
ssid @home1 channel 4 (2427 Mhz 11g) bssid 00:1b:63:2c:f5:08
country US authmode WPA2/802.11i privacy ON deftxkey UNDEF
TKIP 2:128-bit TKIP 3:128-bit txpower 0 bmiss 7 scanvalid 450 bgscan
bgscanintvl 300 bgscanidle 250 roam:rssi 7 roam:rate 5 protmode CTS
roaming MANUAL