From: tms3 on

> I'm running Samba 3.4.7 on Ubuntu 10.04. This is a recent upgrade and
> we've starting experience a sporadic problem after this upgrade.
>
> When users are browsing through Windows Explorer they sometimes run
> across folders that appear as unassociated files. This requires the
> user to click the 'Refresh' button in Windows Explorer to properly see
> the folders. The files and folders are hosted on our Ubuntu server and
> shared with Samba and accessed on the Windows clients through various
> mapped network drives.
>
> The files on the Ubuntu server shared through Samba are actually
> MOUNTED onto the Ubuntu server from a Windows XP "server" that is
> hosting the files locally.
This is truly a bad idea. That XP share should be mounted by the
workstations just like the server shares. Move the data to the
server, or use the XP box as a server to directly serve those who need
the data on it.

Cheers,

TMS III

> These mounted files and folders are what is giving the users trouble
> in seeing folders correctly. We have other files hosted locally on the
> Ubuntu server and shared through Samba, but these are NOT giving us
> problems when browsing them through Windows Explorer. The only files
> that are giving us this problem are the mounted files.
>
> I've noticed that every time I come across a list of folders in
> Windows Explorers that look like unassociated files, I get the
> following error messages in /var/log/samba/log.smbd :
>
> ---
>
> error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(563) cmd=162 (SMBntcreateX)
> NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND
> [2010/07/06 15:56:24, 3] smbd/process.c:1459(process_smb)
>
> [2010/07/06 15:56:24, 3] smbd/error.c:60(error_packet_set)
> error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(563) cmd=162 (SMBntcreateX)
> NT_STATUS_FILE_IS_A_DIRECTORY
>
> ---
>
> The mounting of the files is done through /etc/fstab with CIFS as the
> mount type.
>
> The only solution I can think of would be to move the mounted files to
> the Ubuntu server so they are hosted locally. Like I said, we are
> already doing this with some directories, and we are not experiencing
> a problem browsing through those.
>
> If anyone has any ideas I would be glad to know. Thanks.
> This is truly a bad idea. That XP share should be
> mounted by the workstations just like the server
> shares. Move the data to the server, or use the XP box
> as a server to directly serve those who need the data
> on it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> TMS III

Why is this a bad idea? We've been running this setup
for a few years now and its been working fine until we
upgraded. The XP box only allows 10 user limit for
shares, so that's why we mounted it to the Ubuntu
server and shared it with Samba instead of having to
pay for Windows Server license.

The problem with simply moving the files over to the
Ubuntu server is that the files on the XP box are
stored on a RAID array that comes with a controller
card whose driver is really only designed to be run on
Windows, not Linux.

I'd have to setup mdadm on Ubuntu, which I've done
before and was not impressed. The Windows RAID system
we have is much more easier to maintain.

I don't want to get off topic here, I just want to
know why Samba is giving me trouble browsing these
mounted directories.
At Wed, 07 Jul 2010 13:19:43 -0400 ltracchia(a)alexanderconsultants.net wrote:

> > This is truly a bad idea. That XP share should be
> > mounted by the workstations just like the server
> > shares. Move the data to the server, or use the XP box
> > as a server to directly serve those who need the data
> > on it.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > TMS III
> >

> Why is this a bad idea? We've been running this setup
> for a few years now and its been working fine until we
> upgraded. The XP box only allows 10 user limit for
> shares, so that's why we mounted it to the Ubuntu
> server and shared it with Samba instead of having to
> pay for Windows Server license.
>
> The problem with simply moving the files over to the
> Ubuntu server is that the files on the XP box are
> stored on a RAID array that comes with a controller
> card whose driver is really only designed to be run on
> Windows, not Linux.

Is this a *real* RAID controller or a 'fake' (BIOS/Software/MB) RAID
controller? If it is a real controller are you sure there is no Linux
driver for it? (Esp. since you are using Ubuntu!) If it is a
software/BIOS/MB RAID controller the performance is going to be really
bad -- these controllers are really only meant for home systems and not
really for true servers.

> I'd have to setup mdadm on Ubuntu, which I've done
> before and was not impressed. The Windows RAID system
> we have is much more easier to maintain.

Oh, you mean you have to actually use your keyboard? How dreadfull...

Do you mean to say that the files local to the Ubuntu *server* are not on
a RAID array?

> I don't want to get off topic here, I just want to
> know why Samba is giving me trouble browsing these
> mounted directories.

This sort of 'game' (mounting files from one 'server' on another server
and then re-exporting them), is not *specific* to Samba. See what
happens when you try to NFS export file systems mounted as nfs file
systems (although I expect nfsd/mountd would refuse to let you do that
in the first place).

There are several problems:

It tends to confuse the server(s). File serving software (Samba, NFSD,
etc.) really expect the data they are serving to be local (yes, using a
NAS or something like that is a little different) and are written to
optimal to work that way.

It causes lots of network traffic: every I/O operation causes two
batches of network traffic and implies two sets of network channels: one
set between the machine with the physical disks (the XP box) and the
'server' (the Ubuntu box), and a *second* set of network channels
between the 'server' (the Ubuntu box) and the final client(s) (the
client MS-Windows machine(s)). If this is on one physical network (if
the 'server' (the Ubuntu box) only has one NIC), then the you have lots
of network collisions, which means your network thoughput will truely
suck (eg network timeouts, dropped/lost packets, etc.).

I expect that 'before' you 'got by' by luck. What might be happening
now is that some fix to Samba is biting you or maybe you are getting
network I/O errors (timeouts?) because of what I described in the
paragraph above.

What you are doing is not really going to work in the long term. You
either need to:

1) Buy a real, supported RAID card for the Ubuntu system.
2) Live with mdadm
3) Pay for licenses for the XP system.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller(a)deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Hallo, Leandro,

Du meintest am 07.07.10:

> The problem with simply moving the files over to the
> Ubuntu server is that the files on the XP box are
> stored on a RAID array that comes with a controller
> card whose driver is really only designed to be run on
> Windows, not Linux.

Sorry - where is the problem?
You can access these shares via cifs and copy them to every place on the
Ubuntu machine you may want.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut
On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 12:48:35PM -0400, Leandro Tracchia wrote:
> I'm running Samba 3.4.7 on Ubuntu 10.04. This is a recent upgrade and we've starting experience a sporadic problem after this upgrade.
>
> When users are browsing through Windows Explorer they sometimes run across folders that appear as unassociated files. This requires the user to click the 'Refresh' button in Windows Explorer to properly see the folders. The files and folders are hosted on our Ubuntu server and shared with Samba and accessed on the Windows clients through various mapped network drives.
>
> The files on the Ubuntu server shared through Samba are actually MOUNTED onto the Ubuntu server from a Windows XP "server" that is hosting the files locally. These mounted files and folders are what is giving the users trouble in seeing folders correctly. We have other files hosted locally on the Ubuntu server and shared through Samba, but these are NOT giving us problems when browsing them through Windows Explorer. The only files that are giving us this problem are the mounted files.
>
> I've noticed that every time I come across a list of folders in Windows Explorers that look like unassociated files, I get the following error messages in /var/log/samba/log.smbd :
>
> ---
>
> error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(563) cmd=162 (SMBntcreateX) NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND
> [2010/07/06 15:56:24, 3] smbd/process.c:1459(process_smb)
>
> [2010/07/06 15:56:24, 3] smbd/error.c:60(error_packet_set)
> error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(563) cmd=162 (SMBntcreateX) NT_STATUS_FILE_IS_A_DIRECTORY

Debug level 10 logs are needed at this point to see what
the smbd is seeing when looking at the CIFS mounted files.

> The mounting of the files is done through /etc/fstab with CIFS as the mount type.
>
> The only solution I can think of would be to move the mounted files to the Ubuntu server so they are hosted locally. Like I said, we are already doing this with some directories, and we are not experiencing a problem browsing through those.

That would help !

Jeremy.