From: Leandro Tracchia on
I'm running Samba 3.4.7 on Ubuntu 10.04. This is a recent upgrade and we've starting experience a sporadic problem after this upgrade.

When users are browsing through Windows Explorer they sometimes run across folders that appear as unassociated files. This requires the user to click the 'Refresh' button in Windows Explorer to properly see the folders. The files and folders are hosted on our Ubuntu server and shared with Samba and accessed on the Windows clients through various mapped network drives.

The files on the Ubuntu server shared through Samba are actually MOUNTED onto the Ubuntu server from a Windows XP "server" that is hosting the files locally. These mounted files and folders are what is giving the users trouble in seeing folders correctly. We have other files hosted locally on the Ubuntu server and shared through Samba, but these are NOT giving us problems when browsing them through Windows Explorer. The only files that are giving us this problem are the mounted files.

I've noticed that every time I come across a list of folders in Windows Explorers that look like unassociated files, I get the following error messages in /var/log/samba/log.smbd :

---

error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(563) cmd=162 (SMBntcreateX) NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND
[2010/07/06 15:56:24, 3] smbd/process.c:1459(process_smb)

[2010/07/06 15:56:24, 3] smbd/error.c:60(error_packet_set)
error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(563) cmd=162 (SMBntcreateX) NT_STATUS_FILE_IS_A_DIRECTORY

---

The mounting of the files is done through /etc/fstab with CIFS as the mount type.

The only solution I can think of would be to move the mounted files to the Ubuntu server so they are hosted locally. Like I said, we are already doing this with some directories, and we are not experiencing a problem browsing through those.

If anyone has any ideas I would be glad to know. Thanks.