From: Bill on
I'm new to FD's, but I was following instructions outlined in
http://www.ehow.com/how_2006214_format-flash-drive.html !

Please explain.

Bill

From: Raoul Watson on
Bill wrote:
> I'm new to FD's, but I was following instructions outlined in
> http://www.ehow.com/how_2006214_format-flash-drive.html !
>
> Please explain.
>
> Bill
>

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:01:37 -0700 (PDT), russg
> <russgilb(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> You shouldn't format a flash drive.

Bill, I have seen flash drives and USB Thumbdrives go bad and simply
refuse to accept any I/O. Peter has an excellent suggestion to try using
another FD and see if you can copy a file.

Next question would be what kind of interface are you using? One of my
users had built-in card reading on his HP and the card reader just
stopped working one day. So if you can try another FD, we can eliminate
hardware issue on the reader part. You just have to discard the FD.

However, you can try formatting it (simply by right-mouse click on
Windows explorer and select Format). If the format succeeds, the FD can
accept read/write operation. But even so, FDs do have a life-cycle and
may become unreliable after thousands of read/write.
From: BrianAlex on
On Jun 30, 7:10 am, Bill <jw.helb...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> I'm new to FD's, but I was following instructions outlined inhttp://www.ehow.com/how_2006214_format-flash-drive.html !
>
> Please explain.
>
> Bill
>
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:01:37 -0700 (PDT), russg
>

> <russg...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >You shouldn't format a flash drive.- Hide quoted text -

What I noticed right away in you instructional ref. is this info;

"
Avoid formatting the flash drive unless you absolutely need to do so.
You may render the flash drive useless if you are unable to format it
due to technical problems. Troubleshooting a bad format is difficult.
Common problems in the flash drives can be amended by running the
firmware utility "PL2315Config.exe" located in Windows OS of your PC.

Read more: How to Format a Flash Drive | eHow.com
http://www.ehow.com/how_2006214_format-flash-drive.html#ixzz0tab0qn84
"
From: Peter on
In article <46644fef-3323-4ce3-a9be-
b1e936e78b1f(a)b35g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, Brianorion5(a)hotmail.com
says...
> On Jun 30, 7:10�am, Bill <jw.helb...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> > I'm new to FD's, but I was following instructions outlined inhttp://www.ehow.com/how_2006214_format-flash-drive.html�!
> >
> > Please explain.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:01:37 -0700 (PDT), russg
> >

> > <russg...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > >You shouldn't format a flash drive.- Hide quoted text -

> What I noticed right away in you instructional ref. is this info;
>
> "
> Avoid formatting the flash drive unless you absolutely need to do so.
> You may render the flash drive useless if you are unable to format it
> due to technical problems. Troubleshooting a bad format is difficult.
> Common problems in the flash drives can be amended by running the
> firmware utility "PL2315Config.exe" located in Windows OS of your PC.

What is this utility? And does anyone actually have it? It's not in my
Windows O/S and can't seem to find it as a download either. A couple of
bogus download sites. Nothing genuine so far.

--
Pete Ives
From: Bill on
I returned the old FD to the vendor and he gave me a new one,
formatted with FAT32, and I was able to transfer ALL of my desired
files! I have to assume that the old one was just defective. Thanks
for all the help!

Bill