From: Bill on
I have an Intel 8GB flash drive and I'm trying to copy files from my
C: drive to it for backup. The flash drive has been formatted to
"FAT32". My problem is that when I copy the folder and paste it into
the FD, I get the message: "Cannot create or replace [folder name]:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."
When I try to drag and drop the folder to the FD, I get the same
message! What's wrong here? Thanks!

Bill
From: Peter on
In article <o02i26p994g713idr6q6jff7c7bheete41(a)4ax.com>,
jw.helbron(a)verizon.net says...
> I have an Intel 8GB flash drive and I'm trying to copy files from my
> C: drive to it for backup. The flash drive has been formatted to
> "FAT32". My problem is that when I copy the folder and paste it into
> the FD, I get the message: "Cannot create or replace [folder name]:
> The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."
> When I try to drag and drop the folder to the FD, I get the same
> message! What's wrong here? Thanks!
>
> Bill

Is this a problem with all folders or just one particular folder? Have
you tried copying a very small folder with only 1 or 2 small files in?

--
Pete Ives
From: Bill on

Peter,

Most of my folders are large, i.e. containing many files.
Specifically, I'm backing up old census records which are mostly large
*.jpg files. There may be as many as 100 or more images (per census
year) averaging 1 to 2 MB each. The smaller 1790 worked OK, but am
having trouble with a ~12MB single file as well.

I've already backed these up on another HD, but want to put this info
on a FD.

Bill

From: Peter on
In article <tbli26p2jl6n1rafrag3tvaoiau7ouqjum(a)4ax.com>,
jw.helbron(a)verizon.net says...

> Peter,
>
> Most of my folders are large, i.e. containing many files.
> Specifically, I'm backing up old census records which are mostly large
> *.jpg files. There may be as many as 100 or more images (per census
> year) averaging 1 to 2 MB each. The smaller 1790 worked OK, but am
> having trouble with a ~12MB single file as well.

Was originally wondering if this was a FAT32 issue due to large file or
folder sizes, hence the question. However, can't see any reason why a
12Mb file would not copy. Usually, FAT32 doesn't like file sizes larger
than 1GB, but from your explanation above that is nothing like what you
are copying, and even the complete folder size would appear to be only a
couple of hundred MB.

Is it possible to try that FD in another computer just to make sure it
is behaving itself?

From: russg on
You shouldn't format a flash drive.