From: John Doue on
On 5/6/2010 3:11 AM, Barry Watzman wrote:
> Occasionally, hard drive problems are caused either by screws that are
> overtightened and that torque (bend) the drive slightly, or that are too
> long (the screws either hit something that they shouldn't or they,
> again, slightly bend the drive frame).
>
> Ron wrote:
>> On May 2, 3:35 pm, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOS...(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
>>> This is often a sound made by a failing hard drive, although I would not
>>> go quite so far as to say that it could not be anything else.
>>

>> I started to take a look at the HD with the intention of removing the
>> old one and replacing it before anything nasty happened. But to my
>> surprise, the clacking stopped after I loosened the outside screws
>> slightly. It still makes a clicking noise every time the HD is
>> accessed but it doesn't quite seem so much on the edge of imminent
>> disaster as it did before... :-)
>>
>> Ron

Still, on a new laptop, I would rush to make a return.

--
John Doue
From: Ron on
On May 6, 6:21 am, John Doue <notw...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 5/6/2010 3:11 AM, Barry Watzman wrote:
>

> > Occasionally, hard drive problems are caused either by screws that are
> > overtightened and that torque (bend) the drive slightly, or that are too
> > long (the screws either hit something that they shouldn't or they,
> > again, slightly bend the drive frame).
>
> > Ron wrote:
>
> >> I started to take a look at the HD with the intention of removing the
> >> old one and replacing it before anything nasty happened. But to my
> >> surprise, the clacking stopped after I loosened the outside screws
> >> slightly. It still makes a clicking noise every time the HD is
> >> accessed but it doesn't quite seem so much on the edge of imminent
> >> disaster as it did before... :-)
>
> >> Ron
>
> Still, on a new laptop, I would rush to make a return.
>
> --
> John Doue- Hide quoted text -

I had thought of that, but if I send it back, it could be gone for
weeks or longer while the drive is replaced-- leaving me with no
working computer or 'Net access until it's returned.

Then, too, it's a small 30 Gb drive... Too small under the best of
circumstances. Now that big hard drives are so much cheaper these
days, it seems like a better idea to just keep the laptop and order a
larger drive, then transfer the current data to the new HD. Then I can
scrap the current one. Sounds reasonable? ;-)

Ron

From: Barry Watzman on
Absolutely (it sounds reasonable).

Is this IDE or SATA? [I'm not sure I've ever seen a SATA drive that
small; if it's IDE, there are not many IDE drives still available.
Newegg still has WD 5,400 rpm IDE drives with large cache at $49 & $55
for 80 & 120 GB, respectively.

From: John Doue on
On 5/7/2010 5:51 AM, Barry Watzman wrote:
> Absolutely (it sounds reasonable).
>
> Is this IDE or SATA? [I'm not sure I've ever seen a SATA drive that
> small; if it's IDE, there are not many IDE drives still available.
> Newegg still has WD 5,400 rpm IDE drives with large cache at $49 & $55
> for 80 & 120 GB, respectively.
>

> Ron wrote:
>>
>> I had thought of that, but if I send it back, it could be gone for
>> weeks or longer while the drive is replaced-- leaving me with no
>> working computer or 'Net access until it's returned.
>>
>> Then, too, it's a small 30 Gb drive... Too small under the best of
>> circumstances. Now that big hard drives are so much cheaper these
>> days, it seems like a better idea to just keep the laptop and order a
>> larger drive, then transfer the current data to the new HD. Then I can
>> scrap the current one. Sounds reasonable? ;-)
>>
>> Ron

I agree too, replace the HD is by far a better option.

I wonder too how today, a new laptop could be sold with a 30G drive. But
it is not a *new* laptop, but a refurbished. Could not find after a
quick search whether it is IDE or SATA on that model. With XP Home on
it, I would bet IDE.

If it is indeed IDE, here are some too:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList3.jsp

--
John Doue
From: Ron on
On May 7, 7:14 am, John Doue <notw...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 5/7/2010 5:51 AM, Barry Watzman wrote:
>

> > Absolutely (it sounds reasonable).
>
> > Is this IDE or SATA? [I'm not sure I've ever seen a SATA drive that
> > small; if it's IDE, there are not many IDE drives still available.
> > Newegg still has WD 5,400 rpm IDE drives with large cache at $49 & $55
> > for 80 & 120 GB, respectively.
>
> > Ron wrote:
>
> >> I had thought of that, but if I send it back, it could be gone for
> >> weeks or longer while the drive is replaced-- leaving me with no
> >> working computer or 'Net access until it's returned.
>
> >> Then, too, it's a small 30 Gb drive... Too small under the best of
> >> circumstances. Now that big hard drives are so much cheaper these
> >> days, it seems like a better idea to just keep the laptop and order a
> >> larger drive, then transfer the current data to the new HD. Then I can
> >> scrap the current one. Sounds reasonable? ;-)
>
> >> Ron
>
> I agree too, replace the HD is by far a better option.
>
> I wonder too how today, a new laptop could be sold with a 30G drive. But
> it is not a *new* laptop, but a refurbished. Could not find after a
> quick search whether it is IDE or SATA on that model. With XP Home on
> it, I would bet IDE.
>
> If it is indeed IDE, here are some too:http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList3.jsp
>
> --
> John Doue- Hide quoted text -

John, you could be right.

I didn't even get a manual with the laptop; just a file that I printed
out. That wasn't very helpful but I came across a discussion about
replacing Dell hard drives where somebody wanted to know what's the
biggest hard drive that can be installed on a Dell -- apparently 100
Gb-- so it has been suggested that because of this limitation the
system uses IDE drives.

Thanks, for the 411 guys; the info is much appreciated. :-)

Ron