From: Ron on
I just bought a refurbished Dell Latitude D610 and now, after about a
week, the hard drive makes a sort of regular clacking sound-- like
something inside is constantly banging against something else. Does
anyone know what's going on here? How to stop it from making this
irritating noise? Thanks.

Ron

From: Sjouke Burry on
Ron wrote:
> I just bought a refurbished Dell Latitude D610 and now, after about a
> week, the hard drive makes a sort of regular clacking sound-- like
> something inside is constantly banging against something else. Does
> anyone know what's going on here? How to stop it from making this
> irritating noise? Thanks.
>
> Ron

Harddisk is going belly up.
Install SpeedFan(google) to check the S.M.A.R.T. parameters and check
for re-allocation events and other failure events.
My disk 1 has no re-allocation's, disk 2 however, where I use stop after
10 sec idle,(it is noisy/vibrating) has two re-allocations, probably
because of starting/stopping so often.
Speedfan is very useful when you want to peek inside.
From: Barry Watzman on
This is often a sound made by a failing hard drive, although I would not
go quite so far as to say that it could not be anything else.
Definitely backup anything important on that drive. I'd call the seller
and see if you can get a drive replacement. I would not equate this
with the fact that the laptop is a "refurb"; drives fail. It can happen
in any unit, new, used refurb .... at any time.

From: Ron on
On May 2, 3:35 pm, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOS...(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
> This is often a sound made by a failing hard drive, although I would not
> go quite so far as to say that it could not be anything else.

I started to take a look at the HD with the intention of removing the
old one and replacing it before anything nasty happened. But to my
surprise, the clacking stopped after I loosened the outside screws
slightly. It still makes a clicking noise every time the HD is
accessed but it doesn't quite seem so much on the edge of imminent
disaster as it did before... :-)

Ron

From: Barry Watzman on
Occasionally, hard drive problems are caused either by screws that are
overtightened and that torque (bend) the drive slightly, or that are too
long (the screws either hit something that they shouldn't or they,
again, slightly bend the drive frame).