From: John on
I am running MS Virtual PC v5.3.582.27 on a Windows XP Pro SP3 system.
On the virtual PC, I am running a second instance of Windows XP Pro SP3.
I use this to test new software installations, because if something goes
wrong the consequences are minimal.

I use file sharing between these two systems, and frequently copy a
setup file from one system to the other. Occasionally when I try to do
this, a file won't copy and I get this error message: "Cannot copy file
so-and-so: Access is denied. Make sure the disc is not full or write
protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I am seeing this today with some files I downloaded from Adobe. Some of
them copied with no problem, while others give me the error message.
Additionally, in the explorer window on the main system the file icons
for the files that won't copy appear blank, while the icons for the
files that will copy appear normal. An explorer window on the virtual
system where the files are resident displays all icons normally. I have
re-booted the virtual system and there is no reason why the files would
be in use. There is no problem with disc capacity or write protection.
Why won't these files copy and how do I fix this? Thanks!

John
--
Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
email address to prevent spam. Thank you.
From: Bo Berglund on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 14:20:48 -0500, John <notme(a)nospam.org> wrote:

>I am running MS Virtual PC v5.3.582.27 on a Windows XP Pro SP3 system.
>On the virtual PC, I am running a second instance of Windows XP Pro SP3.
>I use this to test new software installations, because if something goes
>wrong the consequences are minimal.
>
>I use file sharing between these two systems, and frequently copy a
>setup file from one system to the other. Occasionally when I try to do
>this, a file won't copy and I get this error message: "Cannot copy file
>so-and-so: Access is denied. Make sure the disc is not full or write
>protected and that the file is not currently in use."
>
>I am seeing this today with some files I downloaded from Adobe. Some of
>them copied with no problem, while others give me the error message.
>Additionally, in the explorer window on the main system the file icons
>for the files that won't copy appear blank, while the icons for the
>files that will copy appear normal. An explorer window on the virtual
>system where the files are resident displays all icons normally. I have
>re-booted the virtual system and there is no reason why the files would
>be in use. There is no problem with disc capacity or write protection.
>Why won't these files copy and how do I fix this? Thanks!
>
>John

I assume that what you mean by "file sharing" is that you enabled the
shared folder feature of the VM Additions, right?

Well, this feature is full of bugs and is only usable for small files
and using a folder that does not have a deep tree below it. There are
numerous problem posts here about the folder sharing feature and it is
simply not worth trying to use it for anything but small files.

Your best way is to set up normal Windows network file sharing between
the guest and host, because that is rock solid. Just do it as you
would if you had two physical machines connected to the same network.

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: John on
Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010 14:20:48 -0500, John <notme(a)nospam.org> wrote:
>
>> I am running MS Virtual PC v5.3.582.27 on a Windows XP Pro SP3 system.
>> On the virtual PC, I am running a second instance of Windows XP Pro SP3.
>> I use this to test new software installations, because if something goes
>> wrong the consequences are minimal.
>>
>> I use file sharing between these two systems, and frequently copy a
>> setup file from one system to the other. Occasionally when I try to do
>> this, a file won't copy and I get this error message: "Cannot copy file
>> so-and-so: Access is denied. Make sure the disc is not full or write
>> protected and that the file is not currently in use."
>>
>> I am seeing this today with some files I downloaded from Adobe. Some of
>> them copied with no problem, while others give me the error message.
>> Additionally, in the explorer window on the main system the file icons
>> for the files that won't copy appear blank, while the icons for the
>> files that will copy appear normal. An explorer window on the virtual
>> system where the files are resident displays all icons normally. I have
>> re-booted the virtual system and there is no reason why the files would
>> be in use. There is no problem with disc capacity or write protection.
>> Why won't these files copy and how do I fix this? Thanks!
>>
>> John
>
> I assume that what you mean by "file sharing" is that you enabled the
> shared folder feature of the VM Additions, right?
>
> Well, this feature is full of bugs and is only usable for small files
> and using a folder that does not have a deep tree below it. There are
> numerous problem posts here about the folder sharing feature and it is
> simply not worth trying to use it for anything but small files.
>
> Your best way is to set up normal Windows network file sharing between
> the guest and host, because that is rock solid. Just do it as you
> would if you had two physical machines connected to the same network.

I did *not* enable the shared folder feature of VM additions. I just
checked the setting and it is not enabled.

I am using normal Windows network file sharing between the guest and host.

John
From: Bill Grant on

"John" <notme(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
> Bo Berglund wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 May 2010 14:20:48 -0500, John <notme(a)nospam.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I am running MS Virtual PC v5.3.582.27 on a Windows XP Pro SP3 system.
>>> On the virtual PC, I am running a second instance of Windows XP Pro SP3.
>>> I use this to test new software installations, because if something goes
>>> wrong the consequences are minimal.
>>>
>>> I use file sharing between these two systems, and frequently copy a
>>> setup file from one system to the other. Occasionally when I try to do
>>> this, a file won't copy and I get this error message: "Cannot copy file
>>> so-and-so: Access is denied. Make sure the disc is not full or write
>>> protected and that the file is not currently in use."
>>>
>>> I am seeing this today with some files I downloaded from Adobe. Some of
>>> them copied with no problem, while others give me the error message.
>>> Additionally, in the explorer window on the main system the file icons
>>> for the files that won't copy appear blank, while the icons for the
>>> files that will copy appear normal. An explorer window on the virtual
>>> system where the files are resident displays all icons normally. I have
>>> re-booted the virtual system and there is no reason why the files would
>>> be in use. There is no problem with disc capacity or write protection.
>>> Why won't these files copy and how do I fix this? Thanks!
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> I assume that what you mean by "file sharing" is that you enabled the
>> shared folder feature of the VM Additions, right?
>>
>> Well, this feature is full of bugs and is only usable for small files
>> and using a folder that does not have a deep tree below it. There are
>> numerous problem posts here about the folder sharing feature and it is
>> simply not worth trying to use it for anything but small files.
>>
>> Your best way is to set up normal Windows network file sharing between
>> the guest and host, because that is rock solid. Just do it as you
>> would if you had two physical machines connected to the same network.
>>
> I did *not* enable the shared folder feature of VM additions. I just
> checked the setting and it is not enabled.
>
> I am using normal Windows network file sharing between the guest and host.
>
> John
> --
> Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
> email address to prevent spam. Thank you.

In that case it probably has nothing to do with VPC. Networking and file
sharing are not even aware that one machine is a vm. It all works in exactly
the same way as file sharing between two physical machines. If you have
access problems, use the normal debugging procedures. If you can't see what
is wrong, post in a Windows networking NG or forum.

From: John on
Bill Grant wrote:

> "John" <notme(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
>> Bo Berglund wrote:

>>> I assume that what you mean by "file sharing" is that you enabled the
>>> shared folder feature of the VM Additions, right?
>>>
>>> Well, this feature is full of bugs and is only usable for small files
>>> and using a folder that does not have a deep tree below it. There are
>>> numerous problem posts here about the folder sharing feature and it is
>>> simply not worth trying to use it for anything but small files.
>>>
>>> Your best way is to set up normal Windows network file sharing between
>>> the guest and host, because that is rock solid. Just do it as you
>>> would if you had two physical machines connected to the same network.
>>>
>> I did *not* enable the shared folder feature of VM additions. I just
>> checked the setting and it is not enabled.
>>
>> I am using normal Windows network file sharing between the guest and
>> host.
>>
>> John
>> --
>> Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
>> email address to prevent spam. Thank you.
>
> In that case it probably has nothing to do with VPC. Networking and
> file sharing are not even aware that one machine is a vm. It all works
> in exactly the same way as file sharing between two physical machines.
> If you have access problems, use the normal debugging procedures. If you
> can't see what is wrong, post in a Windows networking NG or forum.

I cross-posted my original message to
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
on 5/17. No one has responded in that newsgroup.

John