From: Ben on
I upgraded my Windows 7 Home premium to Professional on my new Dell machine
in order to take advantage of XP mode. I went through the 3 stage process of
downloading the relevant virtual pc and xp mode files from the Microsoft site
and I can see that XP mode now appears under programs in the start menu. The
problem is that when I click on XP mode from the start menu I simply get a
message box to say that the setup file must be downloaded and installed for
this feature to work. I have gone through the download process and rebooted
about 3 times but I still get the same message. I can see that when i click
the download button the process only takes a couple of seconds which may
imply that it has dowloaded once already and therefore not bothering to
duplicate it. I'm not sure how to check whether it has successfully
installed or not. I looked under the Unistall Programs section in Control
Panel to try and uninstall and try again but I could not see any reference
there to XP mode. I don't know what to do next and would be grateful for any
suggestions.
Thank you
From: Steve Jain on
"Ben" wrote:

> I upgraded my Windows 7 Home premium to Professional on my new Dell machine
> in order to take advantage of XP mode. I went through the 3 stage process of
> downloading the relevant virtual pc and xp mode files from the Microsoft site
> and I can see that XP mode now appears under programs in the start menu. The
> problem is that when I click on XP mode from the start menu I simply get a
> message box to say that the setup file must be downloaded and installed for
> this feature to work. I have gone through the download process and rebooted
> about 3 times but I still get the same message. I can see that when i click
> the download button the process only takes a couple of seconds which may
> imply that it has dowloaded once already and therefore not bothering to
> duplicate it. I'm not sure how to check whether it has successfully
> installed or not. I looked under the Unistall Programs section in Control
> Panel to try and uninstall and try again but I could not see any reference
> there to XP mode. I don't know what to do next and would be grateful for any
> suggestions.
> Thank you

XP Mode (if its installed) should be listed under Programs and Features.
Windows VPC will be under the "Turn Windows features on or off"
YOu might want to try using FireFox for the download, I've seen situations
where IE won't download it.
You could also try the direct download for them:
VPC:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2b6d5c18-1441-47ea-8309-2545b08e11dd

XP Mode:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=fb633e9d-ddbc-4044-bb09-4f99e757064e