From: nntp on

What is Happening?
This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

Why?
As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
and discontinue support for newsgroups.

In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite you to participate at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/threads forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.

Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
NNTP(a)microsoft.com
From: Bo Berglund on
On Wed, 19 May 2010 15:48:05 -0700, nntp(a)microsoft.com wrote:

>Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
>In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup
>is scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to
>invite you to participate at
>http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/threads
>forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.
>
>Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
>http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx
>
>Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
>Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
>NNTP(a)microsoft.com

So now I have downloaded and installed the NNTP bridge, then fired up
my Forte Agent newsreader and directed it to the NNTP Bridge server.
After some time it had found 2316 forums.
So far so good, but almost impossible to navigate due to the
proliferation of language centric names.
I searched for virtualpc and vpc, both of which turned up a blank
result.

The only one I got was the w7itprovirt, which turns out to be named:
Technet.en-US.w7itprovirt, but it deals with Windows 7 XP Mode and not
the virtualpc application for us that do not have Win7 yet...

So where should I now go using the NNTP Bridge to see the activity of
*this* newsgroup????

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Bo Berglund on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 00:35:04 +0200, Bo Berglund
<boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 May 2010 15:48:05 -0700, nntp(a)microsoft.com wrote:
>

>So now I have downloaded and installed the NNTP bridge, then fired up
>my Forte Agent newsreader and directed it to the NNTP Bridge server.
>After some time it had found 2316 forums.
>So far so good, but almost impossible to navigate due to the
>proliferation of language centric names.
>I searched for virtualpc and vpc, both of which turned up a blank
>result.
>
>The only one I got was the w7itprovirt (indicated in the original post
>of this thread), which turns out to be named:
>Technet.en-US.w7itprovirt, but it deals with Windows 7 XP Mode and not
>the virtualpc application appropriate for us that do not have Win7 yet...
>
>So where should I now go using the NNTP Bridge to see the activity of
>*this* newsgroup????

FURTER PROBLEMS WITH NNTP BRIDGE
==================================
After installation and discovering the 2316 forums/groups I decided to
test the NNTP bridge on the Technet.en-US.w7itprovirt group.
It turned out to contain 8000+ headers, which took a while to
download.
Then I went ahead and grabbed a bunch of bodies with my Forte Free
Agent newsreader and found that (OUCH!):

This NNTP bridge thing does *NOT* convert the forum bodies to
plaintext as it should! So every message body shows up as an
attachment in my reader!
Totally unusable!!!!

Compare this to the Embarcadero NNTP interface to their developer
forums, where the NNTP interface converts between the HTML used on the
forum and the text expected by NNTP newsreaders. That approach for
sure works fine.

This release should have been designated NNTP Bridge Beta 0.1 rather
than release 1.1!

Not usable at all.... :-(

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Scarlett on
I'm really pissed about this also. Knowing Microsoft, they probably have
just completely deleted this NG in their forums. Outlook Express has long
been one of the most active of the Microsoft NGs. It DOES NOT EXIST in the
Microsoft forums. I guess Microsoft expects everyone using XP with OE
and/or VPC 2007 SP1 to trash their machines and get a new machine with Win
7. There are some rather pissed off Microsoft MVP's also regarding
Microsoft's cavalier disregard for those of us without Windows 7 machines.

I knew nothing about any of this until a couple of days ago when I read
about it at dslreports. I came to this NG and to OE NG to find that both
have been gutted already. OE would only download 230 out of 4560 messages
in the OE group. I switched to Opera Mail and was able to download all
messages from January of this year but still...to, without warning, lose
almost the entire repository for the Microsoft NGs I read..UGH.

I think this one, like Outlook Express one, is dead for ever now. I am
not installing that bridge even if it worked and you are not the first to
complain about it. Microsoft is doing this in order to track us. Plus,
Microsoft forums do not display properly or work correctly on any browser
except IE which I am not about to use.

On Fri, 21 May 2010 20:40:38 -1000, Bo Berglund

From: Nomen Nescio on
I agree that this is a stupid decision, but we can always use NNTP to access
this group from any regular NNTP server, as I've always done.
While MS may remove these groups from their NNTP server, there are loads
of NNTP servers carrying the groups and they will not disappear from them.