From: Nomen Nescio on
In article <85tiqlFfbhU1(a)mid.individual.net>
Robert Riebisch <Robert.Riebisch(a)arcor.de> wrote:

> Nomen Nescio wrote:
>
> > I agree that this is a stupid decision, but we can always use NNTP to access
> > this group from any regular NNTP server, as I've always done.
> > While MS may remove these groups from their NNTP server, there are loads
> > of NNTP servers carrying the groups and they will not disappear from them.
>
> No! AFAIK Microsoft will "ask" all NNTP providers to remove the
> microsoft.* hierarchy completely.

I doubt that will work. The NNTP providers make their money carrying
newsgroups.

From: Nomen Nescio on
In article <uFA8#Os#KHA.3972(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>
"Robert Comer" <bobcomer-removeme-(a)mindspring.com> wrote:

> > No! AFAIK Microsoft will "ask" all NNTP providers to remove the
> > microsoft.* hierarchy completely.
>
> It all depends on how many will honor the request. (either the NNTP rmgroup,
> or any Microsoft campaign...)

Most servers will ignore an rmgroup due to abuse potential.

And then there's always http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.virtualpc

From: Robert Comer on
> Most servers will ignore an rmgroup due to abuse potential.

But they can be handled manually -- we'll just have to wait and see how
things turn out.

--
Bob Comer

From: Bo Berglund on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 08:40:38 +0200, Bo Berglund
<boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote:

>This NNTP bridge thing does *NOT* convert the forum bodies to
>plaintext as it should! So every message body shows up as an
>attachment in my reader!
>Totally unusable!!!!
>
>Compare this to the Embarcadero NNTP interface to their developer
>forums, where the NNTP interface converts between the HTML used on the
>forum and the text expected by NNTP newsreaders. That approach for
>sure works fine.
>
>This release should have been designated NNTP Bridge Beta 0.1 rather
>than release 1.1!

I switched from Forte Free Agent 3.3 to Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 to check
if its NNTP newsreader could handle NNTP Bridge html data, and it
does!
So far all posts I have read look OK, however, I have yet to post a
reply... Don't know if I even want to.

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Nomen Nescio wrote:
> In article <uFA8#Os#KHA.3972(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>
> "Robert Comer" <bobcomer-removeme-(a)mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>>> No! AFAIK Microsoft will "ask" all NNTP providers to remove the
>>> microsoft.* hierarchy completely.
>>
>> It all depends on how many will honor the request. (either the NNTP rmgroup,
>> or any Microsoft campaign...)
>>

> Most servers will ignore an rmgroup due to abuse potential.

I sure wouldn't count on that. Take a look at your free newsserver,
and see how many of the rmgroup requests from this yahoo were accepted:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.msnewservers/browse_frm/thread/3b8d33430c3071f0/01767bbaedeb096d#01767bbaedeb096d

> And then there's always
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.virtualpc

That'll be an interesting one to watch.