From: Bo Berglund on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 17:41:44 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
<nobody(a)dizum.com> wrote:

>I agree that this is a stupid decision, but we can always use NNTP to access
>this group from any regular NNTP server, as I've always done.
>While MS may remove these groups from their NNTP server, there are loads
>of NNTP servers carrying the groups and they will not disappear from them.

Is that just a read-only archive of the NG or can one also post there?
Do these NG servers also cross-sync their activity so they carry the
same messages?
And do you have an address to test?

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Robert Comer on
> Is that just a read-only archive of the NG or can one also post there?

It depends on the news server you connect to -- I use giganews, but there
are cheaper. They're read/write.

> Do these NG servers also cross-sync their activity so they carry the
> same messages?

They all sync'd with the microsoft servers for those groups, I don't know
what will happen when they go away, but I expect those that keep the groups
will cross-sync. (at least some of them will)

> And do you have an address to test?

Just google for nntp server, you'll see plenty, some pay, some free.

--
Bob Comer

From: Robert Riebisch on
Nomen Nescio wrote:

> I agree that this is a stupid decision, but we can always use NNTP to access
> this group from any regular NNTP server, as I've always done.
> While MS may remove these groups from their NNTP server, there are loads
> of NNTP servers carrying the groups and they will not disappear from them.

No! AFAIK Microsoft will "ask" all NNTP providers to remove the
microsoft.* hierarchy completely.

--
Robert Riebisch
Bitte NUR in der Newsgroup antworten!
From: Nomen Nescio on
In article <v4viv59ru4cfuvira590vfsdillpbmbj3d(a)4ax.com>
Bo Berglund <boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 May 2010 17:41:44 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
> <nobody(a)dizum.com> wrote:
>
> >I agree that this is a stupid decision, but we can always use NNTP to access
> >this group from any regular NNTP server, as I've always done.
> >While MS may remove these groups from their NNTP server, there are loads
> >of NNTP servers carrying the groups and they will not disappear from them.
>
> Is that just a read-only archive of the NG or can one also post there?

You can post from them.

> Do these NG servers also cross-sync their activity so they carry the
> same messages?

Yes.

> And do you have an address to test?

This server might have the group http://aioe.org/index.html.
Otherwise, your ISP might have an NNTP server.
I use http://newsreader.com, but it's not free.

From: Robert Comer on
> No! AFAIK Microsoft will "ask" all NNTP providers to remove the
> microsoft.* hierarchy completely.

It all depends on how many will honor the request. (either the NNTP rmgroup,
or any Microsoft campaign...)

--
Bob Comer