From: Chris on
I'm having a problem reducing the size of the single partition on my
hard drive where WinXP Home resides. It's in NFTS format. I'm using
PartionMagic 8 and whenever I try to resize the partition, the operation
aborts giving the error code #1529. The instruction manual gives the
following explanation:

#1529 Information mismatch in directory entry
A file attribute stored in a file record is different from the attribute
stored in its
directory entry. If this error is in a system file (file 0�10), Windows NT
CHKDSK does not fix it, but Windows NT rebuilds the root directory on the
partition the next time the operating system is started.

They're right. CHKDSK doesn't fix it. In fact it doesn't seem to see any
error at all. The OS has been restarted several times and the problem
persists so I'm trying to find a way to fix it so I can move ahead with
the Linux installation. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate
hearing from you.

TIA.

Chris.
From: Nico on

#1: Buy another hard drive and put Linux on that. Seriously, it's a
lot easier and safer than resizing a Windows partition.

#2: Partition Magic is occasionally useful, but not known for useful
error messages. Can you use an Ubuntu or other LiveCD and use the
"ntfsresize" tools to resize your file systems, and gparted to resize
the partiton with it?

#3: A lot of old directions say to put in a /boot partition as your
first partition, to avoid the old 1023 cylinder limitation of LILO and
certain BIOS's. Don't bother anymore. Leave Windows alone as much as
possible, don't try slipping it downdisk and adding in an earlier
partition because Partition Magic will *mis-order* your partitions,
leaving you very screwed up.

From: Chris on
Nico wrote:
> On 10 Mar, 05:01, Chris <chris.mayb...(a)NOSPAMsympatico.ca> wrote:
>> I'm having a problem reducing the size of the single partition on my
>> hard drive where WinXP Home resides. It's in NFTS format. I'm using
>> PartionMagic 8 and whenever I try to resize the partition, the operation
>> aborts giving the error code #1529. The instruction manual gives the
>> following explanation:
>>
>> #1529 Information mismatch in directory entry
>> A file attribute stored in a file record is different from the attribute
>> stored in its
>> directory entry. If this error is in a system file (file 0-10), Windows NT
>> CHKDSK does not fix it, but Windows NT rebuilds the root directory on the
>> partition the next time the operating system is started.
>>
>> They're right. CHKDSK doesn't fix it. In fact it doesn't seem to see any
>> error at all. The OS has been restarted several times and the problem
>> persists so I'm trying to find a way to fix it so I can move ahead with
>> the Linux installation. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate
>> hearing from you.
>
> #1: Buy another hard drive and put Linux on that. Seriously, it's a
> lot easier and safer than resizing a Windows partition.
>
> #2: Partition Magic is occasionally useful, but not known for useful
> error messages. Can you use an Ubuntu or other LiveCD and use the
> "ntfsresize" tools to resize your file systems, and gparted to resize
> the partiton with it?
>
> #3: A lot of old directions say to put in a /boot partition as your
> first partition, to avoid the old 1023 cylinder limitation of LILO and
> certain BIOS's. Don't bother anymore. Leave Windows alone as much as
> possible, don't try slipping it downdisk and adding in an earlier
> partition because Partition Magic will *mis-order* your partitions,
> leaving you very screwed up.

Thank you for all the advice. It's very much appreciated. I'm watching a
couple of hard drives now on eBay so that may very well be the route
I'll take. I'm trying to do this with a minimum of expenditure as this
Linux thing is something I'm doing to challenge the mind rather than a
drastic need. Thank you again.

Chris.
From: Lenard on

Visit: http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

--
Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted