From: John on
Hi

I have the following code;

ByVal MyType As Type
Dim frame As StackFrame
If frame.GetMethod().DeclaringType = MyType Then

Problem is I am getting the "Operator '=' is not defined for types
'System.Type' and 'System.Type'." error on the last line. How can I fix
this?

Thanks

Regards

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 23.03.2010 02:27, schrieb John:
> Hi
>
> I have the following code;
>
> ByVal MyType As Type
> Dim frame As StackFrame
> If frame.GetMethod().DeclaringType = MyType Then
>
> Problem is I am getting the "Operator '=' is not defined for types
> 'System.Type' and 'System.Type'." error on the last line. How can I fix
> this?

To compare references, use the 'Is' operator:

If frame.GetMethod().DeclaringType Is MyType

--
Armin
From: Göran Andersson on
John wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have the following code;
>
> ByVal MyType As Type
> Dim frame As StackFrame
> If frame.GetMethod().DeclaringType = MyType Then
>
> Problem is I am getting the "Operator '=' is not defined for types
> 'System.Type' and 'System.Type'." error on the last line. How can I fix
> this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

VB has it's own implementation of the = operator, so it doesn't always
work as you might expect.

Use the Equals method to use it's own built in comparison to compare the
types:

If frame.GetMethod().DeclaringType.Equals(MyType) Then

--
G�ran Andersson
_____
From: Göran Andersson on
Armin Zingler wrote:
> Am 23.03.2010 02:27, schrieb John:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have the following code;
>>
>> ByVal MyType As Type
>> Dim frame As StackFrame
>> If frame.GetMethod().DeclaringType = MyType Then
>>
>> Problem is I am getting the "Operator '=' is not defined for types
>> 'System.Type' and 'System.Type'." error on the last line. How can I fix
>> this?
>
> To compare references, use the 'Is' operator:
>
> If frame.GetMethod().DeclaringType Is MyType

The Is operator works for some purposes, but it doesn't do an equality
comparison. For example, (String Is Object) = True, while (Object Is
String) = False.

--
G�ran Andersson
_____
From: Armin Zingler on
Am 23.03.2010 09:34, schrieb G�ran Andersson:
> Armin Zingler wrote:
>> Am 23.03.2010 02:27, schrieb John:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have the following code;
>>>
>>> ByVal MyType As Type
>>> Dim frame As StackFrame
>>> If frame.GetMethod().DeclaringType = MyType Then
>>>
>>> Problem is I am getting the "Operator '=' is not defined for types
>>> 'System.Type' and 'System.Type'." error on the last line. How can I fix
>>> this?
>>
>> To compare references, use the 'Is' operator:
>>
>> If frame.GetMethod().DeclaringType Is MyType
>>

> The Is operator works for some purposes, but it doesn't do an equality
> comparison. For example, (String Is Object) = True, while (Object Is
> String) = False.

Help me understanding it. :) John wants to check if it's the same System.Type
object, right? So your example with String and Object would be:

dim t1 = gettype(string)
dim t2 = gettype(object)

msgbox (t1 is t2) 'False
msgbox (t2 is t1) 'False

He does not want to check if the type of an object is of a
certain type or derived from that type. But maybe I got it wrong.

--
Armin