From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <C8C74BF4-E541-48AD-B458-575A49757CD1(a)microsoft.com>, John Woram
wrote:
> "Steve Rindsberg" wrote:
>
> > So to me, the size of an image in the work area should be given in pixels,
> > and a 512-pixel wide image should occupy half the width of a 1024-pixel work
> > area. The image should not be reduced to some seemingly arbitrary width by
> > PP.
>
> In some cases, that'd be useful. But it simply doesn't work that way.
>
> So I noticed<g>, and give me another month or two and I'll get this all
> figured out. I thought that, having set my resolution to 1024 x 768, the
> white rectangle in the work area would represent that amount of space.

I'll repeat this once more. Setting the resolution in the Slide Show Setup
dialog has NO EFFECT on what you see in Normal or any of the other editing
views.

IF you choose a resolution there, the ONLY thing it does is force Windows to
switch to that resolution when you start a slide show, then switch back to
whatever it was when the show ends.

> But it
> turns out that the area is only 960 x 720 -- ie, about 93% of my target
> resolution. So, if I create an image that is 960 x 720 or less (in Photoshop,
> or whatever), that image is inserted at its actual size.

Or not. It depends on several factors, none of them in the least relevant.

If you'll be projecting the show at 1024x768 (common resolution for most
projectors nowadays) you want to create your full screen images AT that
resolution.

PPT may or may not fill the slide with them when you insert them.
So what?

> But if the image is,
> say 1024 x 768, it's inserted at a reduced size; 67% in my case. Why these
> seemingly arbitrary size changes? I have no clue, but at least now I know
> what to do to create a full-screen image.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

From: John Woram on
"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> I'll repeat this once more. Setting the resolution in the Slide Show Setup
> dialog has NO EFFECT on what you see in Normal or any of the other editing
> views.
Thanks, but no need to repeat -- I understand it's only for the eventual
slide show.

> If you'll be projecting the show at 1024x768 (common resolution for most
> projectors nowadays) you want to create your full screen images AT that
> resolution.
Understood, and maybe I'm beginning to "get it" now. PP's work space
represents the current resolution of my own screen (1600x1200). So, if PP's
size tab reports a 67% width, it means the image occupies 67% of my work
space's width, not that the PP image is 67% of its original dimensions. Now I
need to do a few more tests to see if this is right.

From: Steve Rindsberg on

> > If you'll be projecting the show at 1024x768 (common resolution for most
> > projectors nowadays) you want to create your full screen images AT that
> > resolution.
> Understood, and maybe I'm beginning to "get it" now. PP's work space
> represents the current resolution of my own screen (1600x1200). So, if PP's
> size tab reports a 67% width, it means the image occupies 67% of my work
> space's width, not that the PP image is 67% of its original dimensions.

Not exactly ... the work space area may change; you might adjust the resolution
of your system, you might window PPT instead of working full screen, you might
invoke a command that brings up a task pane, you might change the area devoted
to notes beneath the slide, you might change the zoom level ... there are all
manner of things that will change the amount of screen space PPT allots to the
slide.

The 76% basically means that the image is 67% of however high or wide PPT
decided it should be when you first inserted the image. How does it decide how
big it should be? We REALLY don't want to go there. It's WAY too complicated
to explain and changes with every version of PPT, and attempting to explain will
only confuse things more. And leave you back where we started: 67% of whatever
size it was imported at in the first place.

Put a piece of white tape over the bit that tells you the percentages.
An enhanced sense of mental-wellbeing will ensue. ;-)

It may help to think of PPT as being somewhat like a desktop publishing program
(because trust me, it won't help to think of it in Photoshop terms! <g>)

In a DTP app, you set up your document size based on the eventual printed size;
you add content and adjust position and size similarly. If you want it to print
at 5" on paper, that's what you set. It won't be 5" on the screen, other than
by sheer coincidence, but you can tell what it'll look like because the program
gives you an indication of the page edges and scales everything on the page to
fit proportionally.

In PPT, you set the slide size; you add pictures and text and can set the sizes
just as in a DTP program. PPT displays them proportionally to the chosen slide
size. When you print, depending on the options you choose, it'll print a 5"
picture at 5" on the paper.

==============================

From: John Woram on
"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:
> Put a piece of white tape over the bit that tells you the percentages.
> An enhanced sense of mental-wellbeing will ensue. ;-)
I was thinking of spray-painting the entire screen black<g>. Seems to me
that PP is heavily weighted toward print jobs, which seems odd to me because
I suspect most people use it for slide shows via projector. But maybe that's
just me. Anyway, I think I'll just forget about trying to make sense out of
it all. If I want a 1024x768 image to fill the entire 1024x768 projected
space, I'll simply insert the image, then fiddle with the various size and
position controls until the image fills the workspace. Too bad PP can't
"remember" what I want it to do and so I have to repeat all the twiddling for
every full-screen slide. But I guess that's just the way it is.

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <3A4D5F79-8522-478E-AC08-0BF24B1B62B0(a)microsoft.com>, John Woram
wrote:
> "Steve Rindsberg" wrote:
> > Put a piece of white tape over the bit that tells you the percentages.
> > An enhanced sense of mental-wellbeing will ensue. ;-)
> I was thinking of spray-painting the entire screen black<g>. Seems to me
> that PP is heavily weighted toward print jobs, which seems odd to me because
> I suspect most people use it for slide shows via projector. But maybe that's
> just me.

Historically, it is, you're absolutely right about that. It dates back to an
era when we didn't HAVE projectors unless we were maybe named Rockefeller.

> Anyway, I think I'll just forget about trying to make sense out of
> it all. If I want a 1024x768 image to fill the entire 1024x768 projected
> space, I'll simply insert the image, then fiddle with the various size and
> position controls until the image fills the workspace. Too bad PP can't
> "remember" what I want it to do and so I have to repeat all the twiddling for
> every full-screen slide. But I guess that's just the way it is.

That's why I wrote that handy add-in. IT remembers. And it's free, hey hey
hey. <g>

And to give credit where lots of it is due, MS had the wit to realize that it
would never be possible to add all the features that everyone wanted. So
instead it added a programming language, a way for independents to add the
features they or their customers need.

PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint