From: no on
Good day,

I am running Eudora 7.1 in paid mode. I am in the process of
transferring my mail data to a new computer. Unfortunately, the hard
drive structure is different on the new computer, so the path of the
attachments folder has changed.

Is there any way to modify the link from the individual messages so
that they point to the new attachments folder?

I have the feeling the answer is no, based on my review of Google
Groups, but I am hoping that something might have changed in more
recent versions of Eudora.

If there is no bulk solution, does anyone have any idea if there is a
way in Windows to fake Eudora into thinking that D:\Attachments is
actually E:\Attachments?

Thanks.
From: Ajo Wissink on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:33:24 -0800, no(a)one.com wrote:

>Good day,
>
>I am running Eudora 7.1 in paid mode. I am in the process of
>transferring my mail data to a new computer. Unfortunately, the hard
>drive structure is different on the new computer, so the path of the
>attachments folder has changed.
>
>Is there any way to modify the link from the individual messages so
>that they point to the new attachments folder?
>
>I have the feeling the answer is no, based on my review of Google
>Groups, but I am hoping that something might have changed in more
>recent versions of Eudora.

Nothing has changed, so you cannot modify the path to the attachments
in the individual messages. That path is in the .toc files of your
mailboxes.

However, when Eudora finds out that the path to an attachment is
invalid she is intelligent enough to look in the folder where the
attachments are supposed to be. That may be the default "Attach" in
your Data directory, or anywhere else as specified in Tools > Options
> Attachments > Attachment directory:

>If there is no bulk solution, does anyone have any idea if there is a
>way in Windows to fake Eudora into thinking that D:\Attachments is
>actually E:\Attachments?

So your solution is what you see above. It's not a "fake", but a
feature that has been part of Eudora since as long as I can remember
(whatever that means at my age ;)
From: no on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:08:30 -0300, Ajo Wissink
<ajo(a)notrealaddress.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:33:24 -0800, no(a)one.com wrote:

<snip>

>Nothing has changed, so you cannot modify the path to the attachments
>in the individual messages. That path is in the .toc files of your
>mailboxes.
>
>However, when Eudora finds out that the path to an attachment is
>invalid she is intelligent enough to look in the folder where the
>attachments are supposed to be. That may be the default "Attach" in
>your Data directory, or anywhere else as specified in Tools > Options
>> Attachments > Attachment directory:

<snip>

Interestingly, I went back to the new computer to see if there was
even a way to manually update the links, as I had read some old posts
about using the 'Pencil' button which I could not find!

I discovered that I had messed up when I installed the attachments on
the new computer, as I had not installed all of them, I probably
pulled the USB stick out before the copy was complete.

I cleaned out the attachments folder and copied over all of the old
attachments folder...and voila! Eudora now linked to all of the
attachments in the new folder!

No idea why this worked, but I am very happy that it did!
From: John H Meyers on
On 3/14/2010 9:08 AM, Ajo Wissink wrote:

> You cannot modify the path to the attachments in the individual messages.
> That path is in the .toc files of your mailboxes.

Isn't it in the MBX files, appended to the body of
each individual message which has any attachment(s), e.g.:

Attachment Converted: "C:\.....\Eudora\attach\widget95.zip"

Modifying any of these lines, however,
would likely throw the TOC out of sync with the MBX file
(which Eudora should even detect via the stored files' timestamps),
thus making mailbox files just as non-editable as TOC files,
except by using Eudora's "pencil" tool (which re-appends each edited message
to the mailbox file, and simultaneously updates the relevant TOC entry).

Even the "pencil" tool, however, makes it difficult to edit these lines;
otherwise it would be all too easy to "lose" attachments
while merely making minor edits to messages.

> However, when Eudora finds out that the path to an attachment is
> invalid she is intelligent enough to look in the folder where the
> attachments are supposed to be. That may be the default "Attach" in
> your Data directory, or anywhere else as specified in Tools> Options>
> Attachments> Attachment directory

Has anyone found out whether the "Thunderbird" is a "he" or a "she"?

When updates are applied, Thunderbird briefly flashes the message
"Cleaning up the birdcage" at the beginning and end of each update,
so we have a clue that it is a fastidious housekeeper, in any case,
even if not as smart as Eudora :)

From: Ajo Wissink on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 03:03:36 -0500, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 3/14/2010 9:08 AM, Ajo Wissink wrote:
>
>> You cannot modify the path to the attachments in the individual messages.
>> That path is in the .toc files of your mailboxes.
>
>Isn't it in the MBX files, appended to the body of
>each individual message which has any attachment(s), e.g.:
>
>Attachment Converted: "C:\.....\Eudora\attach\widget95.zip"

Yes, you are right. Eudora gets the attachments information from the
..mbx files, in particular the path to the attachments

>Modifying any of these lines, however,
>would likely throw the TOC out of sync with the MBX file
>(which Eudora should even detect via the stored files' timestamps),
>thus making mailbox files just as non-editable as TOC files,

The status of the messages will be lost and possibly more?

>except by using Eudora's "pencil" tool (which re-appends each edited message
>to the mailbox file, and simultaneously updates the relevant TOC entry).
>
>Even the "pencil" tool, however, makes it difficult to edit these lines;
>otherwise it would be all too easy to "lose" attachments
>while merely making minor edits to messages.

I have tried to do that. Saving an attachment somewhere else,
deleting the attachment in the original folder and renaming the path
using the edit function within Eudora results (for me) in an error
message when trying to open the renamed and relocated attachment:
Eudora is still looking in the original location. This seems to work
about the same as editing the subject of a message. Replying to such
a message uses the original subject text. The renaming is just a
superficial veneer without altering what's underneath.

However, doing all this in Windows Explorer using Notepad works fine,
except of course that it throws the TOC out of sync. The attachment
is renamed and opens without the program protesting.

Of course, all this has little practical use, but if one absolutely
wants to move an attachment and wants to be able to open it from
within the message then editing the mbx file outside of the program is
the way to go. Just move that message to a temporary mailbox before
messing with it.