From: Jan Nielsen on
On a Windows Server 2008 we are hosting a home made server application.
Clients from other machines connect to this server using DCOM. The
application on the server runs on the console session.
This is all working fine, until an admin connects to the console session
using RDP. Well it is still working while the session is active, but once the
session is disconnected, clients can not loger connect. If we logon to the
physical console, clients can reconnect again.

In the Terminal Services Manager I notice a difference.
The initial console session has ID 1 and state is always connected.
An RDP session changes the physical console to another ID, and the RDP takes
over ID 1. Once the RDP session is disconnected state changes to
disconnected, and the physical console stays on the new ID (until someone
logs onto the physical console).

Why does this, probably the disconnected state, affect new incomming DCOM
connections?
And why doesn't the console session return to the initial ID, once the RDP
session terminates?

TIA,
Jan Nielsen

From: Roman Porter [MSFT] on
Jan,

This is a side effect of the session isolation work done in WS2008. The
console session should always be present, so when a remote user connects to
the console session, the old console session becomes a remote session and a
new console session is created with a new id. This new id remains with the
console session for the duration of the machines uptime (even if the remote
session is logged off).

The question is, why are you running this DCOM component in the console
session? If you need a DCOM component to be accessible, it should be a
service running in session 0 (the services session).

Thanks,
Roman