From: Alex Ferrara on
Hi Andre,

I have a site with all Windows 7 Professional 64bit clients, and Samba 3.4.3 with an LDAP backend. Roaming profiles are working great.

A few things come to mind.

Disk space on the profile path
Permissions on the directory

Does Windows give any error messages on logout? What filesystem are you using?

aF

On 23/02/2010, at 1:57 AM, André Egerer wrote:

> Hello together,
>
> we try to setup a samba domain controller with LDAP and roaming profiles for Win7-Clients.
> Everything looks fine last Friday but today the clients did not longer save changes to the profiles. There is no error in samba log and also no in the windows log. If I delete a profile from a client it is loaded correctly at next logon, but the changes are not saved at logout.
>
> Windows XP profiles are working well all the time...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> OS: Debian Etch
> Kernel: 2.6.24
> Samba: 3.4.5
> Disk is mounted with "user_xattr"
>

> [profiles]
> path = /home/samba/profiles
> comment = roaming profiles
> create mask = 0600
> directory mask = 0700
> browsable = no
> writable = yes
> read only = no
> store dos attributes = yes
>

> ---
> André Egerer
> Diplom-Wirtschaftsinformatiker
> Technischer Leiter SmartCom Center
>
> Quintec GmbH
> Siemensstr. 2-4
> 90766 Fürth
> Tel: 0911 7667014
> Fax.: 0911 7667015
>
> www.quintec.de
> QUINTEC Ges. für Datentechnik mbH
> Geschäftsführung: Konrad Trosky, Firmensitz Overath, Amtsgericht Köln, HR B 46046
Hi Alex,

thanks for your fast reply.

Here the rights.
The profiles directory:
drwxrwxrwx 6 777 root 4096 2010-02-22 16:14 profiles

A profile:
drwx------ 15 andre.drei primgroup 4096 2010-02-19 11:12 andre.drei.V2

Space should be enough:
/dev/md3 454G 32G 400G 8% /store

The file system is ext3.

Good to hear that it can work :-)!

From: John Drescher on
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:21 AM, André Egerer <andre.egerer(a)quintec.de> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> thanks for your fast reply.
>
> Here the rights.
> The profiles directory:
> drwxrwxrwx 6  777 root 4096 2010-02-22 16:14 profiles
>
> A profile:
> drwx------ 15 andre.drei primgroup 4096 2010-02-19 11:12 andre.drei.V2
>
> Space should be enough:
> /dev/md3              454G   32G  400G   8% /store
>
> The file system is ext3.
>
> Good to hear that it can work :-)!

I have had some problems with this. One problem is caused by windows
7. I mean if I install an application and it needs to be elevated (UAC
prompt) and this elevation puts files in my profile that I do not have
permissions on in windows 7, windows pops up a box saying that my
profile was not fully synchronized. The interesting thing is it is
complaining about C: not my network side of the equation..

I have tried to eliminate this by adding excluded folders in

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\ExcludeProfileDirs

I needed to do that anyways because my profile had in 4 days grown to
over 8GB (and thousands of files) causing windows to take 5 to 10
minutes to logon/logoff over a gigabit network.

John
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM, André Egerer <andre.egerer(a)quintec.de> wrote:
> Thanks, but this is not the same problem. I do not get any error like "not fully synchronized". It syncs absolutly nothing (files on desktop, "my documents", etc). And there is no error in the windows event log...

Where is your profiles.v2? This is needed for Vista and above.

[profiles.v2]

John