From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <0BC02916-CCAC-40B0-B4AE-1D8432343075(a)microsoft.com>, Graham H wrote:
> If if try and Replace Fonts I see "?" to teh left of teh font - I suspect it
> has not been installed in the template properly?

This appears to be (yet another) bug in PPT 2007. In the past, embedded fonts
appeared with a small TT icon next to them. I see that now embedded fonts appear
with a ? icon, which *used* to mean that the font was missing, not embedded, and
that Windows or PPT were substituting a different font.

Try resaving the template (open it on a PC where the needed fonts are installed,
Save As, POTX, click the downarrow next to Tools, choose Save Options and make
sure that "Embed fonts in the file" is checkmarked; you'll probably also want to
choose "Embed all characters"

> How can we rectify this?
> (It seems to work ok in some other templates of ours, just not a couple of
> recent ones - we must have done something...)
>
> "Graham H" wrote:
>
> > We have as issue with the German section character � in our PowerPoint
> > templates (we are using Office 2003)
> >
> > When it is inserted, the font for that character changes to another font
> > (usually "MS PGothic"). I have tried it with different PowerPoint templates,
> > plus blank PowerPoint templates and the issue still occurs, but not with all
> > fonts.
> >
> > Steps to reproduce:
> > 1: create new blank presentation
> > 2: change font to Times New Roman
> > 3: type some text (in Times new roman)
> > 4: Insert the � character (ALT + 245 on teh numeric keypad)
> > 5: you will see the character is inserted in anotehr font (Arial when I do
> > this test)
> >
> > Does anyone know what this may be caused by? The character definitely
> > exists in the font set.
> >
> > Could it be an issue with the underlying template(s), and if so, what could
> > the issue be?
> >
> > Strangely, in Word (2003) the character is inserted properly, so we think it
> > is either a PowerPoint issue or a template issue.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

From: Graham H on
Sorry Steve, we are using 2003 still - will try the below anyway.

From: Graham H on
I have done some more analysis / investigation. I have an older template
which seems to work fine, allowing this and other characters to be inserted
without issue (via ALT+numeric keypad) - this is with either Times New Roman
or a Frutiger font (which we use regularly). Then on the same PC, this new
template (both are .POT files) adding the character or some other high value
(around the Alt+0167 mark, although not all of them exhibit this anomaly)
inserts it in a "MS PGothic" font.

IF, however, you select some text from somewhere else that contains this
character, and paste it in to the .POT, retaining the copied object's format,
the character is pasted in correctly.

I have also tried replacing the font in question (in the dodgy .POT) with a
Fruitger font that we know is installed and works on other presentations,
adding in the § character in the Frutiger font also inserts it as MS PGothic.
All very odd indeed. It leads me to believe that this .POT has something (a
property?) set that my usual blank template does not (or visa versa).

Is there a tool to compare 2 PowerPoint .POT files, to highlight differences?

From: Graham H on
I have tried a workaround to save the presentation as a web page, reviewed
the fonts in the slides etc (Wingdings 3 was in there for some reason), but I
cannot find any reference to MS PGothic - then saved it back as a .POT - if I
could remove this font entirely from the presentation I think my problems
will be resolved, but there seems to be no option to do this, just replace it
with another double byte font...

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <4F49DD57-4179-49F3-8139-5F8E5E877088(a)microsoft.com>, Graham H wrote:
> I have tried a workaround to save the presentation as a web page, reviewed
> the fonts in the slides etc (Wingdings 3 was in there for some reason), but I
> cannot find any reference to MS PGothic - then saved it back as a .POT - if I
> could remove this font entirely from the presentation I think my problems
> will be resolved, but there seems to be no option to do this, just replace it
> with another double byte font...

Asian fonts like MS PGothic will often be specified in HTML/XML using the Asian
name, so it appears as a bunch of gibberish rather than literally MS PGothic.

Here are some bits of a new FAQ I'm working on but haven't had time to whomp into
shape. It may help.

Export to HTML

Close the PPT file

Go to the folder where all the HTML bits are stored Open the .CSS file
there and look at the font specs.

You'll notice something along the lines of:

font-family:"\FF2D\FF33 \FF30\30B4\30B7\30C3\30AF"

It's the stuff in quotes that we're interested in. Copy that (w/o the quotes) and
pop it into Notepad or someplace so it's handy.

Next, you'll want to do a search/replace on all of the

.HTM
.XML
.CSS

files in the HTML folder.

Replace the

\FF2D\FF33 \FF30\30B4\30B7\30C3\30AF

with Arial (or any other font name you like)

Also look in pres.xml for:

p:font name=

followed by some gibberish in quotes.

Change the gibber to Arial.

Now bring it back into PPT and see if the stray fonts have disappeared.