From: "Jeff Teel" jdteel on
I have a Dell Poweredge SC 1420 that has SBS 2003 running on it. It is not a
heavy use machine and has just 5 users that at most could have just 4 people
logged on at the same time. I recently had what I thought was a HD failure
because the server seemed to loose network connectivity so I went to logon
to the server desktop and could not because I could not get the logon screen
to come up. The mouse moved but that was it. I then powered the system down
by holding the power button in and restarted in safe mode, opened RSM and
seen there had been a drive failure reported in the event log. I decided to
purchase two new drives and make the C partition bigger because the original
RAID 1 config only had a 20GB partition. I clean installed the OS (SBS 2003
SP1) and let it run for a few days with out getting it completely updated
with MS updates and it ran fine. It booted quickly and didn't freeze or
become unresponsive during that time. At that point I had not set up any
Users or Computers because I wanted to see how everything was going to run.
After a few days I did a restore of one of my backups. After the restore
completed and the server restarted it got to Applying Computer Settings and
that was it. I gave it a good two hours but it did not get past applying
computer settings. I then powered the system down "held the power button in"
and restarted in safe mode but during the BIOS boot time the RAID had been
degraded. Both drives were optimal. I guess my question would be is there a
service that is trashing the RAID that is not in the clean install that
anyone may be aware of ? The days before this all started there had been not
updates of any kind for Windows applied. Only Trend definitions. It seems to
be very much like the problem with PowerChute Business Edition which needed
updated a few years back because of an outdated certificate I believe only
this seems to cause RAID problems too. I am able to rebuild the RAID and
then boot again into Safe Mode and see that the array is ok.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Jeff

From: Al Williams on
What sort of backup did you restore? Was it just data or an older full
backup? If it was full did you boot up in DSRM mode first (if not, that may
explain the large delay if you had NIC issues).

Your RAID may have become degraded simply due to hitting the power button.

--
Allan Williams

From: JT on
My restore was a full OS backup done with the SBS backup program. I moved the
backup to the server D drive to do the restore. I booted into the Restore
Active Directory optition to do that.

The degradding of the array happens before I had to "kill" the OS.

Thanks
Jeff

From: Al Williams on
I would look at the drive cables - I've seen issues with flakey SATA cables
especially. Also verify you are running the latest RAID drivers. The
firmware on the drvies themselves can also be an issue, so maybe check that
as well (Seagate had a problem a few years back).

--
Allan Williams

From: JT on
When I put the new drives in I used the new cables that came with them so I
would hope that they would be good! There is always a chance one could be bad
but I am able to repair "I think that's the correct term" the RAID and it
works fine with the clean install but then when I restore the backup of the
OS thats when things go bad. The two new drives are Seagate drives so I will
check the firmware on them though as well as the drivers.

Thanks
Jeff