From: kj on
Need a second opinion (seeker01)?

I recently had a client with this very problem ( without the added
complexity of the CA ).

RUN, DON'T WALK, to the phone and call Microsoft PSS !!! Your BOSS has valid
concerns and you should too.

Your problem is solvable, but time is crucial at this point and it's time to
call in the pros!

By my calculation, your 60 days is up in less than a week. If you choose to
go on holiday without completely resolving this issue, then I'd suggest not
coming back.

--
/kj
"Ace Fekay [MVP]"

From: seeker01 on
Hi All,
I really appreciate your experienced advice. I have offered numerous times
to work on it next week but my boss see no risk to deal with it after I am
back from leaves. He is even prepared for me to rebuild the DC02 as a clean
OS if "nltest" wont fix the problem after the 60days lifetime. DC01 is the
FSMO holders, not DC01. Once again, thanks guys.

From: Ace Fekay [MVP] on
In news:20A440D3-A0C5-469C-AF6A-E5DC38450EE7(a)microsoft.com,
seeker01 <seeker01(a)discussions.microsoft.com> made this post, which I then
commented about below:
> Hi All,
> I really appreciate your experienced advice. I have offered numerous
> times to work on it next week but my boss see no risk to deal with it
> after I am back from leaves. He is even prepared for me to rebuild
> the DC02 as a clean OS if "nltest" wont fix the problem after the
> 60days lifetime. DC01 is the FSMO holders, not DC01. Once again,
> thanks guys.

Good luck.

Ace

From: kj on
> DC01 is the FSMO holders, not DC01

Too bad it's not the (root?) CA.

Before you go, consider printing the following for a little "put you to
sleep reading".

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/9216103d-91c6-40da-a370-f95ccf4beaca.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/9216103d-91c6-40da-a370-f95ccf4beaca.mspx

Particularly the second, which of course, you will have problems completing
beacuse replication is broken.

Viva la holiday!

;-)

--
/kj
"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:eZRxIU%23vFHA.256(a)TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

From: seeker01 on
Thanks for your sympathy & advice about the certificate. I will backup the
current certificate key. I meant to say "DC02' is not the FSMO holder. DC01
is the FSMO & the infrastructure master, etc. Because I am rebuilding DC02 as
a clean Windows OS configure it as a new domain controller using the same IP
address and same computer name, do I still need to seize the FSMO roles from
DC01? AT the moment, I am writing all options on email before I receive the
blame from my boss in the future. Yes....I need lots of luck.