From: Bill Tillick on
Back in Jan 22-27 there was discussion and help in this excellent
forum re my difficulty in getting CAVO2.5b-3 to run under Windows 7.
I tried everything suggested then without success, and have just taken
the suggestion from a thread back in Sep 2002 re exporting all the
registry entries containing 'CAVO25' from old machine and importing
these into the new machine.
Did all that, although some were rejected when trying to import, but
the execution just does a brief flash of some unknown window after
showing splash screen (too quick to grab) and closes!

I have also tried to run the 2.5 patches in case that would resolve
the situation but the Patch program was rejected as being just for 16-
bit!! And I don't know of a suitable alternative.

I have emailed twice to Brian at Grafxsoft (sales(a)grafxsoft.com) -
without acknowledgment or reply. Maybe Brian didn't receive my emails,
so hopefully he will get to see this post?
I was seeking to obtain an original CD or download (rather than my 2.5
Upgrade CD), hopefully at a reduced price as I am an elderly pensioner
not doing commercial development, and don't need and can't justify
spending full price on the latest bells & whistles version!

Thanks to all,
Bill Tillick
New Zealand

From: Bill Tillick on
Robert,
Have done the re-Registering. That doesn't seem to be the problem.

I do know that VO2.5 can run on Win 7 x 64, from what was said in my
early thread. The b----r of it all is that something undetermined is
fouling it up on my machine and I just can't find out what. I am
considering a full (time-consuming!) reinstall of Win7 in order to
make a totally fresh start.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Bill
From: Bill Tillick on
Geoff,
I don't understand your comment about a "WOW branch of the stack" -
what is that?
Also, wherever the keys are, where exactly does VO expect to "read
them"?

Thanks for the recommendation to not reinstall W7, it's jut that I
have done so much messing around with various attempt that I thought I
may have generated conflicting entries in the Registry that may have
confused VO or W7?? (I have run CCleaner several times.)

My reasons for trying to stay with 2.5 are that it does all I want! I
have no major new programs to be developed, I was/am not a
professional developer and long retired anyhow but still enjoy
'dabbling' and maintaining/enhancing my existing personal programs,
thus the cost is a significant factor. Would love Brian to offer a
deal just so I can continue my decades-long 'love' affair with Clipper
then VO! Having said that, I haven't yet totally discarded buying a
later version.
(I am impressed with free MS Visual Studio/Visual Basic Express
versions but feel somewhat reluctant to tax my ageing brain with a
whole lot of fresh learning - even though it is enjoyable! Much of my
knowledge from VO looks to be transferable, though not the code
itself!!)

Thanks again for your interest,
Bill

From: Bill Tillick on
Geoff, Further to my previous post....
1. I currently am not able to UNinstall vo2.5 using either W7
uninstall or Revo Uninstaller!! Hence my thoughts about W7 being
screwed up.
Also, knowing that others run 2.5 successfully under W7 x 64 leads me
to conclude that it's my W7 that is the problem.

2. Re my comment about a deal from Brian (who may get to see this?) I
would like a deal such as getting 2.8, presumably including SP3, for
the price of, say, the upgrade from 2.5 or 1.0c - or even less $$$?

Cheers,
Bill
From: Bill Tillick on
Hello All,
This is to let you know that I have purchased 2.8 after all that
hassle.
Somehow Brian didn't receive my previous two emails, but all has been
sorted over the past couple of days.

Thanks to all who tried to help me.
Regards,
Bill