From: Robert van der Hulst on
Hi Bill,
On Mon, 10 May 2010, at 21:25:26 [GMT -0700 (PDT)] (which was 6:25 where I live)
you wrote about: 'Problems moving VO to Windows 7 Professional from Win XP machine -revisiting'

> Back in Jan 22-27 there was discussion and help in this excellent
> forum re my difficulty in getting CAVO2.5b-3 to run under Windows 7.
> I tried everything suggested then without success, and have just taken
> the suggestion from a thread back in Sep 2002 re exporting all the
> registry entries containing 'CAVO25' from old machine and importing
> these into the new machine.
> Did all that, although some were rejected when trying to import, but
> the execution just does a brief flash of some unknown window after
> showing splash screen (too quick to grab) and closes!

> I have also tried to run the 2.5 patches in case that would resolve
> the situation but the Patch program was rejected as being just for 16-
> bit!! And I don't know of a suitable alternative.

> I have emailed twice to Brian at Grafxsoft (sales(a)grafxsoft.com) -
> without acknowledgment or reply. Maybe Brian didn't receive my emails,
> so hopefully he will get to see this post?
> I was seeking to obtain an original CD or download (rather than my 2.5
> Upgrade CD), hopefully at a reduced price as I am an elderly pensioner
> not doing commercial development, and don't need and can't justify
> spending full price on the latest bells & whistles version!

Visual Objects 2.5 was a CA only product. It is protected with Register-IT copy
protection software.
You need to install that software too and register the product.
If you use the original installation software this should all be taken care of.

VO 2.5 CAN RUN on Windows 7. I am running it on my Windows 7 x 64 machine (not
for production, but as a reference tool in case someone reports an issue with
it).

--
Robert van der Hulst
AKA Mr. Data

From: Geoff Schaller on
Bill.

Reinstalling W7 isn't going to help. It is just that a 64 bit registry
based application is going to find its keys in the WOW branch of the
stack. You may need to copy these down to where VO itself tries to read
them.

Do you have to stay with 2.5 or can you upgrade? What keeps you at this
totally antiquated version?

Geoff

From: Robert van der Hulst on
Hi Bill,
On Thu, 13 May 2010, at 15:30:51 [GMT -0700 (PDT)] (which was 0:30 where I live)

http://www.grafxsoft.com/2vo28.htm

--
Robert van der Hulst
AKA Mr. Data

From: Geoff Schaller on
Bill,

Hobby status or not... UPGRADE!

The cost is small. Honestly.
The benefits are huge. Honestly.

I suspect you spend more on beer and food than on a VO upgrade so I
don't accept the argument about cost. The real issue is that you aren't
going to get much help with 2.5 because of its antiquity.

I have customers with XP that say they are happy because XP does
everything they need. This is like a bicycle owner saying that they
don't need a car because their bike does everything they need. Bollocks!
Microsoft is running a very amusing IE 8 advertising campaign:

'Would you drink 8 year old milk?'
....so why would you use an 8 year old browser?

<g>