From: Peter Dickerson on

<nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

>>> As far as I could discover, yes.
>>>
>>> IBM being IBM, that doesn't mean I was right. During my time with
>>> them, I frequently was telling one group what another was up to,
>>> and the history of various products that appeared like mushrooms is
>>> well known. But I completely failed to track down any hard evidence
>>> that there was such a product, or even a pre-product.
>>
>>I distinctly recall handling an IBM PC card which ran 370 code and OS. As
>>recall it was supposedly based on a modified 68K - don't know about two
>>though. When I had it in the mid 80s, say 1986, it was considered scrap.
>
> Yes. I know about that one, though never saw it. As I understand
> it, it could run some 370 code but not a 370 operating system, and
> was regarded as the prototype for the putative "370 on a chip".
>
> Do you have any definite evidence that it ran a real 370 operating
> system, rather than a special lookalike one of its own?

Only that it came with some disks with OS-like words on. I can't say that it
ran an unmodified OS. Its a long time for me to remember anything.

Peter

From: nmm1 on
In article <hjp7mf$4vp$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Peter Dickerson <first.last(a)tiscali.invalid> wrote:

>>>I distinctly recall handling an IBM PC card which ran 370 code and OS. As
>>>recall it was supposedly based on a modified 68K - don't know about two
>>>though. When I had it in the mid 80s, say 1986, it was considered scrap.
>>
>> Yes. I know about that one, though never saw it. As I understand
>> it, it could run some 370 code but not a 370 operating system, and
>> was regarded as the prototype for the putative "370 on a chip".
>>
>> Do you have any definite evidence that it ran a real 370 operating
>> system, rather than a special lookalike one of its own?
>
>Only that it came with some disks with OS-like words on. I can't say that it
>ran an unmodified OS. Its a long time for me to remember anything.

My understanding was that it wasn't even a modified 370 OS, but a
major and unmaintainable hack, omitting a large proportion of the
important features. But that was second-hand information.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

"Mike" <mike(a)mike.net> writes:
> I have often wonder how modern systems would have evolved in an
> alternate universe where IBM did not fund MicroSoft and OS/2 but
> instead chose to implement Presentation Manager to provide a GUI on
> top of VM/CMS and compete in the micro and workstation arena with a
> 370 instruction set chip. In 1984 IBM had a PC/370 but decided it
> would eat mainframe revenue and limited software licenses to machines
> connected to mainframes thus killing their attraction.
>
> Your suggestion of a portable version of CMS is an intriguing
> alternate especially if combined with a portable GUI. Just think, an
> industrial strength GUI on 370, 801, and S/38 and on PC's to compete
> with Windows 3.1.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#4 Processes' memory
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#5 Processes' memory

PC/370 had severe useability ... design point of CMS had gotten somewhat
bloated so real-storage required (minimum virtual pages) and disk
intensive operations ... resulted in poor human factors.

original pc/370 was to ship with 384k of 370 memory ... i showed that
with only 384k ... system exhibited severe page thrashing behavior. I
then got blamed for six month slip in schedule while they retrofitted
another 128k (for 512k) for 370 memory. CMS filesystem was emulated on
DOS PC/XT harddisk ... which had 100ms access ... and became
excruciatingly slow compared to what people were used to with mainframe
disks.

CMS applications directly ported to DOS tried to be a lot more efficient
with their use of storage and disk activity ... old email of
somebody ported the CMS (script) document formating to TRS80:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007.html#email801016
in this post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007.html#1

other post/reference
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004l.html#74

CMS document formating had been done in mid-60s ... sort of port of ctss
runoff command. then GML (precursor to SGML, HTML, XML, etc) was
invented at the science center in '69 and CMS document formater was
upgrade to support GML tag commands (in addition to original "dot"
commands).

I had some work with my cms paged mapped file system for pc/370 to help
offset the slowness of the disks (i.e. on mainframe 3380s disk ... I
measured about a factor of three times improvement in moderately disk
limited applications).

for other drift ... recent references to high-end mainframe organization
(POK) trying to cut in half component allocation for mid-range 43xx
production (to limit mid-range eating into high-end revenue)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010b.html#87 "The Naked Mainframe" (Forbes Security Article)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010b.html#99</a> "The Naked Mainframe" (Forbes Security Article)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#1 "The Naked Mainframe" (Forbes Security Article)
also old email reference:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010b.html#email790429

old reference (early '85) to proposal to pack a whole lot of processor
chips into single rack ... arbitrary mix of 370 & 801 (although I'm not
sure I had worked out all the heat issues):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004m.html#17 mainframe and microprocessor

so it was sort-of natural when medusa came along (801 only) ... lots of
old email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#medusa

project was transferred and we were told we couldn't work on anything
with more than four processors ... and nearly immediately after
the transfer ... announced; 2/17/92 reference
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001n.html#6000clusters1
another
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001n.html#6000clusters2

some conjecture that the ease of the transfer was partially because of
the threat of RDBMS scaleup to mainframe ... implied here
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

some more discussed here:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010b.html#71 Happy DEC-10 Day

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

"Peter Dickerson" <first.last(a)tiscali.invalid> writes:
> I distinctly recall handling an IBM PC card which ran 370 code and OS. As I
> recall it was supposedly based on a modified 68K - don't know about two
> though. When I had it in the mid 80s, say 1986, it was considered scrap.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#14 Processes' memory

it did 370 really slow ... and problem-state only (no privileged state)
instructions. ran cms with a highly modified version of vm370 ... i.e.
virtual machine privileged instructions interrupted into vm370 kernel.
vm370 kernel handled things like i/o and misc other stuff with transfers
between "cp/88" running on the PC processor.

misc. past posts mentioning cp/88
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001f.html#28 IBM's "VM for the PC" c.1984??
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001i.html#19 Very CISC Instuctions (Was: why the machine word size ...)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001k.html#24 HP Compaq merger, here we go again.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002b.html#43 IBM 5100 [Was: First DESKTOP Unix Box?]
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004m.html#7 Whatever happened to IBM's VM PC software?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005f.html#6 Where should the type information be: in tags and descriptors
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005f.html#10 Where should the type information be: in tags and descriptors
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006m.html#56 DCSS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#41 z/VM usability
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008r.html#46 pc/370
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010.html#2 Happy DEC-10 Day

later there was the a74 (7437) ... which was much more like a real 370
in small form factor (with several press/news articles from 1988):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002d.html#4 IBM Mainframe at home

some a74 changes I tried to get released (including paged mapped
filesystem):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003f.html#56 ECPS:VM DISPx instructions

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk writes:
> If anyone had delivered a viable form of Unix at an affordable price,
> that would have eliminated Windows 3.1. They didn't, until far too
> late, and that was marketing and not technical. I doubt that IBM
> could have moved fast enough to convert CMS to such a very different
> style of use.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#4 Processes' memory
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#5 Processes' memory
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#14 Processes' memory
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#15 Processes' memory

recent post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#12 Happy DEC-10 Day
with an old email discussion of "affordable unix" (and
diskless workstations):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#email871115

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970