From: Gordon Darling on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:44:30 +0000, Folderol wrote:

> I have an asus motherboard AM2 socket carrying an Athlon 4200
>
> I understand this mobo has a maximum clock speed of 3.2G
>
> I saw a recommendation for upgrade to a Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
> but this was quite an old article and these seem as rare as hens teeth.
>
> I've seen suggestions to go for a 955 but these are AM3. People say they
> are backwards compatible with AM2, but logic says there must be some
> performance or feature downgrade.
>
> Does anyone know if this is in fact a practical upgrade and/or if there
> is a better one (changing the mobo is not an option).
>
> The machine is used heavily for music development - particularly
> softsynths.

CPU support for M2NPV-VM motherboard. This help?

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-
us&model=M2A-VM&product=1>

Regards
Gordon

--
ox·y·mo·ron
n. pl. ox·y·mo·ra or ox·y·mo·rons
From: Folderol on
On 29 Mar 2010 20:52:24 GMT
Gordon Darling <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:44:30 +0000, Folderol wrote:
>
> > I have an asus motherboard AM2 socket carrying an Athlon 4200
> >
> > I understand this mobo has a maximum clock speed of 3.2G
> >
> > I saw a recommendation for upgrade to a Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
> > but this was quite an old article and these seem as rare as hens teeth.
> >
> > I've seen suggestions to go for a 955 but these are AM3. People say they
> > are backwards compatible with AM2, but logic says there must be some
> > performance or feature downgrade.
> >
> > Does anyone know if this is in fact a practical upgrade and/or if there
> > is a better one (changing the mobo is not an option).
> >
> > The machine is used heavily for music development - particularly
> > softsynths.
>

> CPU support for M2NPV-VM motherboard. This help?
>
> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-
> us&model=M2A-VM&product=1>
>
> Regards
> Gordon

Very useful link thanks
.... now why couldn't I find that?

--
Will J G
From: Gordon Darling on
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:17:28 +0100, Folderol wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2010 20:52:24 GMT
> Gordon Darling <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

<snip>

>> CPU support for M2NPV-VM motherboard. This help?
>>
>> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-
>> us&model=M2A-VM&product=1>
>
> Very useful link thanks
> ... now why couldn't I find that?

I feel the pain!

I have an Abit motherboard and I went through hoops trying to find CPU
support information for it. So decided to do a bit of digging for you. If
anything the Asus site is worse than the Abit site!

Regards
Gordon

From: Jim Price on
Folderol wrote:
> Thanks for such a detailed (but ultimately depressing) reply.
>
> I didn't want to go for a whole motherboard upgrade, partly because I
> don't want to 'waste' a seeming fully functional unit, but also because
> I'd only about 18 months ago got a new graphics card for it, and about
> a year ago doubled the memory to 4G so wanted to get some value for
> money out of it all.
>
> I'm wondering if an Athlon 5600 might be a reasonable
> intermediate compromise 2.9G (where as the current one is 2.2G but still
> low power.

Expect about 30% speed increase, plus a few percent for each stepping.
My rule of thumb is it needs to be twice as fast to feel the speed increase.

> I've also seen them advertised for 40-50 quid.

Very good value, and unlike some Intel cheapies, good hardware support
for virtualisation. I'm using a 5050e - it only uses 45W (peak) at
2.6GHz, but is not noticeably faster than a 3800 in general use.

> The other point is that I have a Sempron in my 'office' machine, with a
> similar motherboard, so could push the old Athlon over to that and
> get two bites of the cherry.

That might make an upgrade make sense.

> I run debian based OSs. Currently squeeze with RT patches.

It's mostly Debian based here too, with a spot of OpenBSD and
Opensolaris. I've got Nokia N900 envy at the moment, but no budget for one.

--
JimP
From: Folderol on
Just a minor progress report

I decided to go for the 5600, and ordered one for a total of 46 quid.
Because of the Easter break I might *just* get it Saturday, but I
expect it's more likely to arrive in the middle of next week.

In preparation, yesterday I upgraded the bios to 1401 and this seemed to
go without problems. I don't notice any difference with the current
processor - but then I wasn't expecting to!

--
Will J G
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last