From: The Lurker At The Threshold on
We are attempting to re-install XP home and are install never finishes but
keeps looping back to the beginning of the process. We suspect there is a
problem with the installation CD itself.

Question is: Can we use a different installation CD and enter my good
product key when we get the that screen? The install will be on the same
machine, with the same hardware, that our original activation was on.

Sheena

From: Jason Marshall on
You sure can. You can create a backup CD of your original XP cd, and use
your original product key.

You cannot distribute or use copies for unlawful purposes though.

HTH

From: Carey Frisch [MVP] on
In order to use your Product Key with a different Windows XP CD,
the CD must be absolutely identical to the original one.

See the following for a possible solution:

Windows XP Setup Restarts the Setup Program When Your Computer Restarts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826976

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

From: Plato on
The Lurker At The Threshold wrote:

> We are attempting to re-install XP home and are install never finishes but
> keeps looping back to the beginning of the process. We suspect there is a
> problem with the installation CD itself.
>
> Question is: Can we use a different installation CD and enter my good
> product key when we get the that screen? The install will be on the same
> machine, with the same hardware, that our original activation was on.

Yes, the key is not embedded in the cd. You just have to use the same
type of ms cd.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

From: Bruce Chambers on
The Lurker At The Threshold wrote:
> We are attempting to re-install XP home and are install never finishes but
> keeps looping back to the beginning of the process. We suspect there is a
> problem with the installation CD itself.
>
> Question is: Can we use a different installation CD and enter my good
> product key when we get the that screen? The install will be on the same
> machine, with the same hardware, that our original activation was on.
>
> Sheena

This will work, as long as you use the same type of CD as you already have.

Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are
purchased. For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key (which is what you
have)won't work for any retail version of WinXP Home (which is what your
friend has), or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa. An
upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and vice
versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail product. An
Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD. Bottom line:
Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm