From: JCO on
Isn't there a way to have the build number automatically increment?
Then I would just have to change the first number on a major release.

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Suppose I have a file that the application writes. Generlaly, you think of a "product
version" as representing one format of the file. If you change the format of the file,
then it is a new product version. But within a product version, you might have "point
releases" such as 2.1, 2.2., 2.3, and so on. All of which read and write the same file
format. So in this case the product version is always 2. If you change the file format,
this becomes product version 3. Generally, when you add new features, you change the
product version, but the file version represents an actual release. Add a new feature,
and you should feel entitled to change the product version. Even if the file format is
the same. But if you find a bug in version 3.1, and fix it, then the file version would
be 3.2, but since it represents the same feature set as the 3.1 release, it just becomes a
new "file version". Usually, the file version major version and the product version major
version are the same, only because of tradition.
joe

On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:28:49 -0500, "JCO" <someone(a)somewhere.com> wrote:

>When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
>What's an example where they would be different?
>Thanks
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com