From: JCO on
When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
What's an example where they would be different?
Thanks
From: David Ching on
"JCO" <someone(a)somewhere.com> wrote in message
> When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
> What's an example where they would be different?
> Thanks

Product version is usually determined by Marketing, e.g. "you will call this
version of Visual Studio 10.0".

File version can be different for each file in the deliverable, for example
if a DLL is shared between multiple products, it could potentially have its
own numbering scheme.

I agree it's confusing and these should ideally be the same.

-- David

From: David Webber on
"JCO" <someone(a)somewhere.com> wrote in message
> When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
> What's an example where they would be different?

I have always understood that a 'product' might include an EXE and a number
of DLLs, and that a given version of the 'product' can be defined to contain
different versions of assorted DLLs.

Actually I make my EXE and all my DLLs have matching versions (via a common
header defining parameters used in the VERSIONINFO). And the product
version matches that. But of course the file version of MFC included in a
certain 'product version' doesn't match.

Dave

--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software

From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:28:49 -0500, "JCO" <someone(a)somewhere.com>
wrote:

>When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
>What's an example where they would be different?
>Thanks

I update the product version with every release and the file version
if there is any change in the file format.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
From: Hector Santos on
JCO wrote:

> When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
> What's an example where they would be different?
> Thanks

Here is how we use it.

Product could be a framework version or server version, where File is
the individual file versions. Some might view Product as a marketng
version. We don't. It depend on your products.

We have an RPC server, so for example, the product version for all
files will be the RPC Server all files worth with:

6.3.453.4 Product Version for all files
6.3.451.7 File version for File XYZ
6.3.453.2 File version for File ABC

etc. If a file 12345.EXE has:

6.3.453.1 Product Version
6.3.453.1 File version

Whether it works for the current server version 6.3.453.4, depends on
how you want to enforce that. For us, as long the the file version
BUILD # is

45x

then it it supports the current version.

If we wanted to break all clients with a new RPC server, we will make
the server product version:

46x

All our EXE and DLL clients will register with the server and during
that registration the file version is passed to the server. If it not
compatible, it won't be allowed to continue.

Also, for our electronic updates, we use the File version compares so
the greater one prevails.

BTW - That is one we we control the "DLL HELL" issue people have been
talking about here. :)

--
HLS