From: shoonya on
Hi,

I recently got the Actel Smartfusion eval kit. Since I use Linux, I am
running the windows Libero IDE under wine.

While the application runs fine under wine, I am not able to program the
device with the Flashpro software. Seems like it is not able to talk to the
programmer.

I know this is as much a wine issue, but i wanted to know if there is a
native software for linux which can be used to just program the device and
which supports smartfusion fpgas.

And which can work on the free gold license.

Thanks
Manish

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: Uwe Bonnes on
shoonya <manish.paradkar(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> I recently got the Actel Smartfusion eval kit. Since I use Linux, I am
> running the windows Libero IDE under wine.

> While the application runs fine under wine, I am not able to program the
> device with the Flashpro software. Seems like it is not able to talk to the
> programmer.

> I know this is as much a wine issue, but i wanted to know if there is a
> native software for linux which can be used to just program the device and
> which supports smartfusion fpgas.

> And which can work on the free gold license.

How is the hardware connected (serial/parallel/USB).
--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: shoonya on
>shoonya <manish.paradkar(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> I recently got the Actel Smartfusion eval kit. Since I use Linux, I am
>> running the windows Libero IDE under wine.
>
>> While the application runs fine under wine, I am not able to program
the
>> device with the Flashpro software. Seems like it is not able to talk to
the
>> programmer.
>
>> I know this is as much a wine issue, but i wanted to know if there is a
>> native software for linux which can be used to just program the device
and
>> which supports smartfusion fpgas.
>
>> And which can work on the free gold license.
>
>How is the hardware connected (serial/parallel/USB).
>--
>Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
>
>Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
>--------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------

Hi,

Here's the kit
http://www.actel.com/products/hardware/devkits_boards/smartfusion_eval.aspx

It has to usb connections. One for power and uart - it uses the cp210x chip
from Silicon Labs.

The other usb is for programming which has actel flaspro3 programmer.
I got a response from actel saying that flaspro is not supported in Linux
even though they have a linux version of Libero.

Beats me.

Regards
Manish

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: Thomas Stanka on
On 17 Jun., 15:11, "shoonya" <manish.paradkar(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
wrote:
[..]
> I recently got the Actel Smartfusion eval kit. Since I use Linux, I am
> running the windows Libero IDE under wine.
>
> While the application runs fine under wine, I am not able to program the
> device with the Flashpro software. Seems like it is not able to talk to the
> programmer.
>
> I know this is as much a wine issue, but i wanted to know if there is a
> native software for linux which can be used to just program the device and
> which supports smartfusion fpgas.
..
First there is also a linux version of most tools in Libero. But it
has drawbacks in performance against windows. It might be that wine
+windows version shows better performance than linux native version of
the tools.

For programming there is only the windows version of the FlashPro. I
guess this is due to the fact that the programmer needs direct control
of the interface. At least the older versions of FlashPro required
admin rights for programming over parallel port. I have no experience
with wine, but expect that wine won't allow that direct access to the
hardware that FlashPro seems to require.

bye Thomas
From: shoonya on
>On 17 Jun., 15:11, "shoonya" <manish.paradkar(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
>wrote:
>[..]
>> I recently got the Actel Smartfusion eval kit. Since I use Linux, I am
>> running the windows Libero IDE under wine.
>>
>> While the application runs fine under wine, I am not able to program
the
>> device with the Flashpro software. Seems like it is not able to talk to
the
>> programmer.
>>
>> I know this is as much a wine issue, but i wanted to know if there is a
>> native software for linux which can be used to just program the device
and
>> which supports smartfusion fpgas.
>.
>First there is also a linux version of most tools in Libero. But it
>has drawbacks in performance against windows. It might be that wine
>+windows version shows better performance than linux native version of
>the tools.
>
>For programming there is only the windows version of the FlashPro. I
>guess this is due to the fact that the programmer needs direct control
>of the interface. At least the older versions of FlashPro required
>admin rights for programming over parallel port. I have no experience
>with wine, but expect that wine won't allow that direct access to the
>hardware that FlashPro seems to require.
>
>bye Thomas

Hi Thomas,
>For programming there is only the windows version of the FlashPro.
That is it. There is no native Linux version of Flashpro. :(

Wine will only allow direct access to the hardware if that hardware has a
native linux driver loaded.

Regards
Manish

Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com