From: erilar on
Having asked for and received advice about the problems resulting from
the rather violent computer upgrade needed to adopt an iPad, I thought I
ought to not only again thank everyone, but offer a progress report 8-)

I have reconstituted about 3/4 of the almost-totally-disable address
book entry line by entry line. I can't open the backup on the backup
HD because the laptop wants to try and refuses me. It seems that I
can't open it inside the backup HD.

I realized there is a workaround for the network disconnect between old
and new computer for the time when I collect a pile of data worth the
physical effort of moving enough things off my desk to pull the old CPU
out to reconnect the backup HD to it, back up whatever, disconnect it
and push it back, replace everything on the desk, and connect the backup
HD to the laptop again. Project for next winter, when I eventually get
around to feeding the data from old media I find I want to save into the
old computer.

I've been trying Bean as WP. It's a nice little program, but to access
anything old, I have to convert the latter to .rtf so Bean can find it.

Fortunately, my graphics program is still behaving itself, at least
until the day when I'm forced to upgrade again.

BUT now that I have this lovely iPad I keep playing with when I should
be doing something else, I'd like to be able to keep a few documents
there, too, and the price is going to be iWork '09 because that's what
the Pages app for iPad needs. And it is back-compatible with AW 6,
which in turn can open even the later versions of ClarisWorks. When I
have more time I'm going to try the 30-day free trial and will most
probably succumb in the end.

One way and another, my iPad has become quite expensive, but I do love
it 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<drache-BF88E9.09004811062010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.exa
mple.com>,
erilar <drache(a)chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> I've been trying Bean as WP. It's a nice little program, but to access
> anything old, I have to convert the latter to .rtf so Bean can find it.

Glad to see you took my advice to check it out. I think it's one of the
more user friendly word processing applications available for Mac OS
today!

JR