From: Rob on
Ashish,
Looking at the PSI refernce in your message, I'm assuming you're using 2007.
Can you confirm that the web application to host the SSP was in fact created
on your application server?
If it is not there and the SSP administration page is pointing there, I'd be
willing to bet that it may be an issue with the timing of when you Stopped
the "Windows SharePoint Services Web Application" on your Middle tier
(application) server.

Hope this helps you hunt it down,
-Rob Stewart