From: Sue Morton on
Hello Serginho,

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you referring to whether you can
swap a brand name part, with another manufacturer's part (of similar
spec and/or form factor) and expect it to work?

Example: The ASUS EeePC 1000 netbook I have. This model was assembled
with two SSD's, both using 'standard' (common) mini-PCI-E connector.
But, one card is a shorter form factor card. This is made only by
Phison as far as I can tell, no one else offers the same connector but
shortened card length. So you could say that's a proprietary card, you
can only get an exact duplicate from Phison as far as I know.

However, I did replace that short card with a Super Talent mini-PCI-E
card of 'regular' (common) length, as there was room on the mobo and in
the case for the regular length card. However, ASUS soldered the screw
mounts on the mobo to match up with the short Phison card, so I had no
immediate way to secure the Super Talent to the mobo. It required a
little creativity to fashion new screw mounts, without harming the mobo,
so I could use the 'regular' length SSD in place of the short Phison.

If that's what you're asking about, in my experience often the parts in
brand name computers can be swapped with others, but it's really the
luck of the draw. Whatever the manufacturer decided to make/buy for
that particular model line, is what they used. Until you open up a
specific computer you may not be able to know.

In my experience you cannot go on knowledge of a specific model of
machine either. For example, I have two identical model Lenovo T61
laptops. I opened them up, one is all-intel for CPU, chipset and
graphics; the other is intel CPU and nVidia chipset and graphics. So
just knowing a laptop is a Lenovo T61 mode, is not enough to know what's
inside.

Please let us know if I misunderstood your question?
--
Sue Morton

"Serginho do Teclado"

From: Steve_Karl on
In my experiece hard drives are always interchangeable.
I've also never had any issues replacing power supplies in Dell, HP, or Compaq ( newer Compaq i.e. )
with off the shelf any brand.
Motherboards I would assume are going to be propritary for all 3 companies above.
I'd junk the machine before trying to swap one out.

ASUS ... no experience with them here other than one real dog of a P4 that never ran well.
It went to eBay and had Ubuntu installed on it by then.

Steve

From: Serginho do Teclado on
On Apr 20, 6:17 am, "Sue Morton" <867-5...(a)domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hello Serginho,
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking.  Are you referring to whether you can
> swap a brand name part, with another manufacturer's part (of similar
> spec and/or form factor) and expect it to work?
>
> Example:  The ASUS EeePC 1000 netbook I have.  This model was assembled
> with two SSD's, both using 'standard' (common) mini-PCI-E connector.
> But, one card is a shorter form factor card.  This is made only by
> Phison as far as I can tell, no one else offers the same connector but
> shortened card length.  So you could say that's a proprietary card, you
> can only get an exact duplicate from Phison as far as I know.
>
> However,  I did replace that short card with a Super Talent mini-PCI-E
> card of 'regular' (common) length, as there was room on the mobo and in
> the case for the regular length card.  However, ASUS soldered the screw
> mounts on the mobo to match up with the short Phison card, so I had no
> immediate way to secure the Super Talent to the mobo.  It required a
> little creativity to fashion new screw mounts, without harming the mobo,
> so I could use the 'regular' length SSD in place of the short Phison.
>
> If that's what you're asking about, in my experience often the parts in
> brand name computers can be swapped with others, but it's really the
> luck of the draw.  Whatever the manufacturer decided to make/buy for
> that particular model line, is what they used.  Until you open up a
> specific computer you may not be able to know.
>
> In my experience you cannot go on knowledge of a specific model of
> machine either.  For example, I have two identical model Lenovo T61
> laptops.  I opened them up, one is all-intel for CPU, chipset and
> graphics; the other is intel CPU and nVidia chipset and graphics.  So
> just knowing a laptop is a Lenovo T61 mode, is not enough to know what's
> inside.
>
> Please let us know if I misunderstood your question?
> --
> Sue Morton
>
> "Serginho do Teclado"
>
> > Anybody knows if ASUS Desktops use proprietary parts (HDD, PSU, MOBO,
> > etc) like HP, Compac, Dell, etc? I know ASUS boards are standard.

Thanks for the replies.
I was actually interested in Asus Essentio CG5290-BP009 desktop.
Can not find out which mobo it is using. Everything else seen to be
generic compatible.
I would like to fit there my old Delta 66 card. Still works great.