From: Paul Heslop on
Chris H wrote:

> In message <5ec24d4e-7ca2-4d65-96f0-99fa25727ccc(a)v25g2000yqk.googlegroup
> s.com>, RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> writes
> >http://copyrightaction.com/forum/uk-gov-nationalises-orphans-and-bans-
> >non-consensual-photography-in-public
> >
> >People can now use your work at their leisure and they only pay one
> >fee: To the BRITISH GOVERNMENT!!!!
>
> The usual trick is to do something over the top like this (especially in
> election season) and then ditch it in favour of something far more
> reasonable.
>
> The reason they do that is the "something far more reasonable" would
> normally have not got anywhere due to objections if they started with
> it without the scare tactics first. However it is such a big
> improvement on the proposed law such as the one above they started with
> people think they have won over the government......

I agree, this is a typical tactic of our govts, both lab and con.

--
Paul (we break easy)
Stop and Look
From: Frank ess on

Paul Heslop wrote:
> Chris H wrote:
>>
>> In message
>> <5ec24d4e-7ca2-4d65-96f0-99fa25727ccc(a)v25g2000yqk.googlegroup
>> s.com>, RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> writes
>>> http://copyrightaction.com/forum/uk-gov-nationalises-orphans-and-bans-
>>> non-consensual-photography-in-public
>>>
>>> People can now use your work at their leisure and they only pay
>>> one fee: To the BRITISH GOVERNMENT!!!!
>>
>> The usual trick is to do something over the top like this
>> (especially in election season) and then ditch it in favour of
>> something far more reasonable.
>>
>> The reason they do that is the "something far more reasonable"
>> would normally have not got anywhere due to objections if they
>> started with it without the scare tactics first. However it is
>> such a big improvement on the proposed law such as the one above
>> they started with people think they have won over the
>> government......
>>
> I agree, this is a typical tactic of our govts, both lab and con.

Developed into a fine art by the Sierra Club and Greenpeace.

--
Frank ess

From: Twibil on
On Feb 17, 9:48 am, "Frank ess" <fr...(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote:

> > I agree, this is a typical tactic of our govts, both lab and con.
>
> Developed into a fine art by the Sierra Club and Greenpeace.

Uhh, asking for far more than you think you can get is the oldest
opening bargaining tactic in existence; dating back to just slightly
after the invention of dirt.
And trying to pretend that environmental groups use this tactic in any
way differently than do political bodies, corporate businesses,
unions, or religions -or pretending that the Sierra Club is somehow
better at it than any of those groups; all of whom are *much* better
funded- means that you're either trying to promote a personal anti-
envrionmental group agenda or you *really* don't understand the basic
workings of the world.

Obviousman strikes again!
From: Paul Heslop on
Frank ess wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > Chris H wrote:
> >>
> >> In message
> >> <5ec24d4e-7ca2-4d65-96f0-99fa25727ccc(a)v25g2000yqk.googlegroup
> >> s.com>, RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> writes

> >> The usual trick is to do something over the top like this
> >> (especially in election season) and then ditch it in favour of
> >> something far more reasonable.
> >>
> >> The reason they do that is the "something far more reasonable"
> >> would normally have not got anywhere due to objections if they
> >> started with it without the scare tactics first. However it is
> >> such a big improvement on the proposed law such as the one above
> >> they started with people think they have won over the
> >> government......
> >>
> > I agree, this is a typical tactic of our govts, both lab and con.
>
> Developed into a fine art by the Sierra Club and Greenpeace.

greenpeace? I didn't know they were in a position of power :O) I don't
even know who the sierra club are.

From: Frank ess on

Twibil wrote:
> On Feb 17, 9:48 am, "Frank ess" <fr...(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I agree, this is a typical tactic of our govts, both lab and con.
>>
>> Developed into a fine art by the Sierra Club and Greenpeace.
>
> Uhh, asking for far more than you think you can get is the oldest
> opening bargaining tactic in existence; dating back to just slightly
> after the invention of dirt.
> And trying to pretend that environmental groups use this tactic in
> any way differently than do political bodies, corporate businesses,
> unions, or religions -or pretending that the Sierra Club is somehow
> better at it than any of those groups; all of whom are *much* better
> funded- means that you're either trying to promote a personal anti-
> envrionmental group agenda or you *really* don't understand the
> basic workings of the world.
>
> Obviousman strikes again!

I guess you may be right.

Wait... That might not be your signature! You could be referring to
/me/ as "Obviousman"! Omigod. I'm (maybe) devastated!

Always nice to be noticed by Acid Breath, bane of the Inland Empire,
though.

How are things at the Agricultural Station? Manage to get that manure
off your poker yet?

Cheers!

--
Frank ess

Half the harm that is done in this world
is due to people who want to feel important.
They don't mean to do harm - but the harm
does not interest them. Or they do not see it,
or they justify it because they are absorbed
in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.
--- T.S. Eliot